How good on gas is your rat rod????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billy my 302 with edelbrock 500, c4, 3:04 rear, about 18 if i can resist making noise with the zoomies

that is heartening.
i need every mpg i can get.
10 buck an hour jobs make smiles per gallon senseless.
i dont smile much with an empty tank and wallet.....

My old drag car was a big block Pontiac that I drove to the track. I had a two barrel adapter plate and carb that I use to put on just for the ride there then I would switch it out to the holley 700. I would get about 20mpg with the 2 barrel...I could just never get on it for fear of sucking all the gaskets out of it!

My IHC should get about 20 - 24mpg highway and 15mpg around town. 283 + .030, 700r4, 3.50 gears, 30" tall tires, about 1800 - 1900lbs.

Always remember that you can tune most carbs to get at least 5mpg better with float and metering rod adjustments...but it really depends on the driving style. [ddd

-Troy

Ever since we got my Son's rpu back on the road with the new motor he has been trying to put as many miles on it as possible to break it in. It is a 455 Olds, now 468, with tripower off of a 66 442 Olds and 4.11 gears. Gas milage isn't one of it's better attributes ! :eek: We just got the speedometer working so we haven't had a chance to check it, but we figure in the 6-8 mpg range around town and maybe 10 on the road.

Last Saturday he and I drove our cars to a show about 30 miles from home and he used about 6 gallons of gas and mine used about 4, so he was in the 10 mpg range and I was at about 15. Most of those were highway miles so that is about as good as he can expect, I guess.

I know his debit card is getting a workout at the pumps lately. :D

Don

My truck gets around 20-22 nearest I can figure, (no guage)!!
Its a 4.3 v6 350 turbo, 4412 holley, would probably do better without the 4:11 gears!!

I've never really cared about gas mileage in a hot rod.I've owned 440's,383's,454's in various vehicles and not once did i ask myself as i bought a big block,hmm wonder what mileage it gets?Even my work truck/daily driver i worried more if it could pull my trailer down the road decently more than the gas mileage it gets.I plan to put a 434 stroker kit in the 390 i am building for my t sedan.Will it get good mileage,i doubt it,will it put a s**t eatin grin on my face when i stab the skinny pedal,hell yeah and thats what hot rods are about.If your 6cyl does it for you then thats all good too,everyones different.Feel fortunate that you live in a country that has the cheapest gas in the world and has for a very long time.I am paying about 4.15 a u.s gallon for 87 octane regular this week and it's probably come down 20-25 cents a liter since summer.Welcome to hot rodding in canada,i think premium would be around 4.94 for a u.s gallon.

My old drag car was a big block Pontiac that I drove to the track. I had a two barrel adapter plate and carb that I use to put on just for the ride there then I would switch it out to the holley 700. I would get about 20mpg with the 2 barrel...I could just never get on it for fear of sucking all the gaskets out of it!

My IHC should get about 20 - 24mpg highway and 15mpg around town. 283 + .030, 700r4, 3.50 gears, 30" tall tires, about 1800 - 1900lbs.

Always remember that you can tune most carbs to get at least 5mpg better with float and metering rod adjustments...but it really depends on the driving style. [ddd

-Troy

Might have to talk to you about tuning using this method once I'm all up and running. You know where to find some education about this online in the mean time?

I know mine being a VW and all. When we drove it to Daytona in November was the first time I ever checked the MPG in the 23 years since I built the engine (small stroker with dual 2 bbl Dellorto carbs). It got around 30 MPG and still runs mid 9's in the 1/8 ,15.16 1/4.
Tim

Das Ding ist die Bombe

I know mine being a VW and all. When we drove it to Daytona in November was the first time I ever checked the MPG in the 23 years since I built the engine (small stroker with dual 2 bbl Dellorto carbs). It got around 30 MPG and still runs mid 9's in the 1/8 ,15.16 1/4.
Tim

Translation: That thing is the bomb! [cl

Latest posts

Back