What's up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is too good to fizzle....I am a member on several forums and it looks like it's just a slow time of year for forums. Just coming into Spring for most. First chance to really get out and around for the snow bound folks. Things to do that couldn't be done while trying to hug a heater. Things start growing again. Means more time with cutting grass or cultivating crops. People like Tripper that are keeping animals, have lots of stuff to do. New crowd of youngins around.
I think it's just the time of year.
Start a topic. The ratchet jaws will chime in....:D

I agree with Smallfoot on the weather, however i'll rack my pea brain and try to think of a good topic to talk about.:confused: You are right about KB, it's dead:(

I'm guilty of ignoring this board. I've been working 10 or more hours a day, trying to get my '56 up and running by summer, but by the time I come in, clean up, and spend some time with the family, I don't feel much like getting online and sharing my tedious news about my day. I agree, this place doesn't deserve to die like KB. I actually enjoy the folks here, and will try to do my part to bring some entertainment to the board. :rolleyes:

I've always been bad about not replying when someone replies to a post of mine. After a while i know it will make you feel like it doesn't matter if you post or not. Probably a few of us here could try to keep the dialog going more.
I miss the show pictures! Anyone have a reason why they seldom get posted anymore?

I've always been bad about not replying when someone replies to a post of mine. After a while i know it will make you feel like it doesn't matter if you post or not. Probably a few of us here could try to keep the dialog going more.
I miss the show pictures! Anyone have a reason why they seldom get posted anymore?

Not all that into shows that much myself, but live in a 24/7 reality show with hot rods, rats, great hordes of all kinds of motorcycles and I carry a camera at all times...you'd think, once in a while, I'd take a pic...sorry guys:rolleyes::D

Yea, things do seem to be slowing down a bit. I know they are at my house. Cold wet weather brings out all my aches-n-pains, and I am not as tough as guys like Torchie. So, I wimp out and stay in the house where it is warmer, and whine. Still no excuse for not posting on my build thread. Lots of "done" work to cover. But honestly, I am a bit frustrated with my 39 build. I am changing faster than it is, it seems, and I may never be comfortable driving it.

I do love this site, and visit nearly every day. Hopefully, it is just a dip in the graph, and not a permanent trend.

Since the Govt made us go to elogs, my free time has went to almost zero. If I have a little, I'm sitting in the damn truck somewhere and not at home where I could be doing stuff. Only here Sat and part of the day Sun, through the week I have enough time to wash my butt and eat then take off again. :(

Still working on my Lincoln a little bit. Down to the point that now I have to buy parts to do anything, and even then I can't buy much at a time. That last pos truck I had before this one really put a hurting on me, I can't stand debt, and I had to spend way more on my credit cards to survive than I am comfortable with. Slowly getting it back down to a reasonable level, but that $300 a month would buy a few more parts. My pickup pays off in Sept, so there will be another $200 for hot rod parts.

As to show pics, not much going on yet here. First cruise in is next Sat if I get to go. I used to take a lot of pics, but now only things I'm interested in. Since I go to the same shows every year, it's mostly the same cars I've posted before.

I've become a lurker and not much of a poster, but I stop by every day at least once! Love the pics of Kool Cars and Rat Rods, etc. I was reminiscing with a friend of how I almost built a rat rod truck, then found out I am not much of a builder. Gave up too easily, so that's all on me. Still bummed about it, too.

Speaking of car shows, I have lived in Phoenix over 20 years now, and finally went to "the longest running car show" at the Pavilions shopping center. I can easily say I was NOT impressed by all the shiny '50s and '60s show cars bought by the rich guys in their hawaiian shirts, panama hats sitting in their lawn chairs. The neat stuff for me was the row of rat rods and the '64 Chevy pickup that some old crusty guy had brought. THOSE are the cool and REAL people, just like most of the folks here.

I haven't had my rod out since back in Oct. Just waiting patently for the mud to dry up and get a day in the 50s to get it out. Everytime it looks like it might get nice, 3-4" of wet snow falss. It is nice having the old 59, pretty much a rat I guess and I drive it several times a week. Got some new Cepek 255x85x16 mudders since this picture last year. It's my therapy, otherwise I just lay around watching tv.

Attachments

• DSCN1585.jpg
    DSCN1585.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 12
earthman: I rarely attend car shows, but when I do, I take some snaps and post them here. (I've grown tired of shows... had more than my fill working and displaying in years past!)

earthman: I rarely attend car shows, but when I do, I take some snaps and post them here. (I've grown tired of shows... had more than my fill working and displaying in years past!)

Me too, haven't been to a car show in years, not much blows my hair back at a car show, the parking lot is generally more interesting. I do enjoy the pictures of events that you guys post though.

Having been out of the old car scene for over ten years, here is my story:

I went from restoring old cars to restoring old houses. The house I recently restored and living in is over 100 years old...So...I am also a member of an Old House Forum. But now with this recent purchase I am back in the old cars, and I am thrilled with this rat I am toying with.

I have to agree with the posters that are tired of the old car shows, looking at the same paint jobs and store bought hot rods.

Or as AZrodDave says "I can easily say I was NOT impressed by all the shiny '50s and '60s show cars bought by the rich guys in their hawaiian shirts, panama hats sitting in their lawn chairs. The neat stuff for me was the row of rat rods and the '64 Chevy pickup that some old crusty guy had brought. THOSE are the cool and REAL people, just like most of the folks here."

So! Now I go, to disturb others with noise smoke rust and God knows what else. (I still have cobwebs in the rear window)...Kind of like that scene in Captain Ron when he steers and docks the old sailboat perfectly at the high class waterfront bar.

Having said all that, here are a couple pics of shows I recently attended. One is at my little town's monthly show, I am parked next to another creampuff '53 with small block, the owner was cool (retired military with a lot of money to spend)and we hung out.

The other one is in Lakeland Fla, where I am parked next to a red 55 Chev.

I should have taken pics of the few rats at these shows, only one or two, next time I will.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 26
I don't think the site is dying, I think there are highs and lows. Life is busy for most everyone. I check the site at least once a day and some times two or three times. I don't always post anything but love to check out how everyone is doing.
KB is the site that lead me here and I think it has been dying for at least three years. Never did get much of a response to my build thread.

The Hamb does nothing for me so I don't even bother with it. This is the best site on the web.

[cl[cl[cl[P[P[P

How is anyone going to know how others are doing if you just show up to see but don;t talk?

I have seen remarks about lack of new posts on the 3 sites that I frequent so this seems to be a common issue. Just like with things like FB and snapchat and whatever else is out there, there tends to be an ebb and flow. I always try to post or comment on other peoples posts to keep things moving and to let the OP know that someone is looking in.[P
In many cases new members can find the info they seek by using the search option which does away with the need to ask questions.
And as we all know from experience many sites are not as FRIENDLY as this one is, so perhaps some new members are hesitant to post????
As a resource this site is still a great asset and I for one will always be a member and contribute what I can......
Torchie

I like your post Lazarat. Bamamav, WB, Bob W, Tripper and others that share what is going on in their lives as well as build threads making this site warmer like getting together with friends. I really,really enjoy cruising threads with pix showing and describing a members local area.
lightbulb.gif
CONTEST !!!

I read almost every word of every post. It is noticeable that sometimes posts go without comment even though comment might be warranted or wanted by the person posting. I don't mean just the "atta boy" type comments, although I do some of those to keep the ball rolling and bring posts to the top.

Members come and go and I miss many of the good guys and gals that no longer post. The dynamic that survives is that we all check our egos at the door and are always courteous. There's good humor here but no one is made fun of.

Criticism is reserved for some outlandish pile that does not have a person's name connected with it. Or If someone is building something unsafe helpful comments are forthcoming.

We've had fun contests here from photography to captions to poetry.

The generosity of our members is uncommon. I've received free stuff from more than a few guys. And have sent out a few items myself.

All this indicates an interest in cars and other wheeled vehicles (not to mention dogs, cats, cows, clean jokes, music, etc.) and a mutual respect for members that has been created by Tripper and continues on.

And the band played on.

Latest posts

Back