Smaller engine rat rods??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've long thought about doing this, but there's something about big power in a hot rod. Nothing about a Hot Rod makes sense. If we were doing things the most sensible way, we wouldn't be driving old iron. Hot rodding is based on the unnecessary, and it's just a fun experiment in things that shouldn't be done. It's about whatever makes you happy. For me, that's a big engine with lots of torque. If for you it's something with great mileage, then do it.

I love the Roadkill Videos that Freiburger and Finnegan from Hot Rod Magazine do on Youtube. Two of the best quotes I know about hot rodding come from that channel.

"Hot Rod magazine is 100% about things that no one needs. You don't need it, but it's your life." - David Freiburger

"If you can't pull up to a gas station and strike up a conversation with your fellow man over your car, what are you doing?" - Mike Finnegan

You don't need 400+ HP in any car, but it's fun. In the same vein, if you don't mind the weird looks and silent muttering that go with having an economically-minded engine in your rod, go for it.

totally agree with you man. and i always watch roadkill! great show and good quotes haha

as far as I am concerned if it has less than 8 cylinders it's a motorcycle engine and not suitable for a hot rod.

I don't entirely agree. I have seen an old f250 I6 that ran I believe in to the 9's in a 1/4 in a falcon.

While I normally go with the theory of there is no replacement for displacement, I have been pretty impressed by other engines as well. Just saying.

Small cube V8s

Of course, almost every V8 was introduced with smaller displacements, and most guys don't want them, so they can be had for less money. Think 326 Pontiac, 332 or 352 FE Ford, or 361 Chrysler B big block. There even was a 264 Nailhead Buick Special.

Also, in the late 70s and early 80s many engines were again offered in smaller displacements. Think 262 or 267 small block Chevy, 255 small block Ford, 260 Olds, and 368 Cadillac. Hot rod parts fit these engines too, and no one would be the wiser.

Besides, isn't every small block Chevy a 350?

440shorty

I don't entirely agree. I have seen an old f250 I6 that ran I believe in to the 9's in a 1/4 in a falcon.

While I normally go with the theory of there is no replacement for displacement, I have been pretty impressed by other engines as well. Just saying.

And I have seen VW engines push a couple of bugs in the 7's in the 1/4 at over 170 MPH weighing more than they did new. You can have as much fun cruising with a small engine as someone can with a V8, I do and it runs low15's and gets almost 30 mpg and drive it anywhere.
Tim

And I have seen VW engines push a couple of bugs in the 7's in the 1/4 at over 170 MPH weighing more than they did new. You can have as much fun cruising with a small engine as someone can with a V8, I do and it runs low15's and gets almost 30 mpg and drive it anywhere.
Tim

Sometimes, yes you are right. However when I put my foot into my 455 I guarantee it's much more fun than a little banger engine. I drive mine everywhere too even though it doesn't get near the mileage you do. It's all about what you want and what hot rodding is about for you. I wouldn't be any happier with my truck if it had a more economical engine, and it will get good mileage if I keep my foot out of it [ddd

I have to say, sometimes a small engine you can thrash without going crazy fast is fun.

If you have 400hp, you can put your foot in it for like 3 seconds before you are going to have to let off. Now, if you have say 100hp, you can keep you foot in it and enjoy the racket for longer.

It depends on what you are trying to do. Smoke people at stoplights, yes need big power. Run around having fun making alot of noise, not so much.

My speedster has maybe 120hp (gross). It is sorta quick but definitely not going to win any drag races. But it sounds great and is more fun to drive than my V8 Model A (partially b/c it's a stick).

That said, I have no idea why people put diesels in rods. They just aren't fun to wind out, don't make good sounds, AND are slow. [S

as far as I am concerned if it has less than 8 cylinders it's a motorcycle engine and not suitable for a hot rod.

I would run mine on solar if I could...I am looking for something that wont break the bank when I drive it...I hate putting gasoline in anything...at 3.50 a gallon in my neck filling up my garden tractor hurts...

I used to race my Dodge Neon on $5.00 (for gasoline) a night...and I had a blast driving that thing...$5.00 and all the adrenaline I could handle....doesn't get much better than that in my book...

MikeC

I'd rather drive my V8 50 miles than some little wheezing banger 150 miles. The pipes are my sound system and nothing, and I mean nothing, sounds as good as a V8 (except maybe a Miller-Offy at full song)

I too would rather drive a ground pounding tire frying V8, but, You can have just as much fun with a smaller engine.

However mikec I'm sorry but that is still racing a neon and I would not do that LOL.

A small motor is not always a wimpy thing...a Honda civic went 250+ this summer on the saltflats and I`ve seen them do 6second 1/4`s...just go to one of the NOPI drags and see what a 1000hp 4-banger will do. *also the NOPI events always have a Wet T Shirt event...not that I like seeing great tits [dr

I'm running an I6 in my 30/31 Ford truck I'm building. When it first hits the road, it'll have the motor that came with the chassis I bought. Chassis was 71 dj5 with what was supposed to be a 232 Torque Command, backed up with a 727 Torque Flite, and geared with a Dana 44, 3.07 lsd rear. Found on studyiing up that my chassis is classified as a 1971 Model but by the codes, it was built in 72. Enter the odd stuff...Ok 1972 changes were made to the motor and other things. They went to a 258 block and left the 232 heads on. The frame was lengthened 3" to help placing the newer block. This put starter on the passenger side. (an improvement for steering and header room) This motor and tranny only has 800 miles since rebuild and will be the start motor. But...the 250 Chevy 6 is being built right now that will replace that. It's going to be nicely built and backed up with a 700R4. Both of these choices will get mileage. The Jeep motor will be ok, but the Chevy will walk the dog. It's a Chevrolet. All you have to do is make it breathe...

Latest posts

Back