31 chevy/ford windsheild

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedkid

alright im working on a 31 chevy 5w coupe. now i always wanted a flip out windsheild and my car didnt come with a windsheild frame. do you think its worth buying a model A ford windsheild and windsheild frame and mock mine up to fit? just a thought.

I just bought one that came from schnieders, at first I thought it was pretty poor quality, the guy that sold it to me even said I won't like it. I screwed around filing the hinge a bit and lightly pulling some of the lip out to make it work smoothly now I'm glad I bought it. To chop it you just unbolt the top and cut it with a hacksaw then drill two more holes per side, no aluminum welding. Oh yea mines a '31.

Sean

Whoops sorry it's 5am I didn't see the Chevy part. I saw a post on the Hamb where a guy built one out of some angle iron and some strapping.

Attachments

• P7190478.JPG
    P7190478.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 52
I'm not exactly sure how close the winshield opening on a 31 Chevy is to the Model A. But if it is close enough to make it work without totally restructuring it, then I would say yes it's worth getting the Ford windshield frame.

I don't know if it would be helpful to your situation or not, but I installed a swing out windshield in my 32 coupe. I did a post on here showing the brackets I built to make it work.

You can probably make your own windshield frame in less time than to do the research on different sizes, finding one, and then do the cutting and rewelding to fit...[ddd:D
If you care to, there was a pretty complete showing on how I did mine in my build thread. I can even give you the right links for a glass gasket that works like a champ.

My 33 chevy has a very different, rounded A pillar. It's nothing like the Ford Model A.

The 31 Chevy, though, is much closer in shape to the 31 Ford. It definitely looks doable.

Latest posts

Back