The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also mocked up a set of model A hood sides. They might be louver donors...not sure.

IMG_0216-2.jpg

IMG_0215-2.jpg

IMG_0217-1.jpg

I didn't take it off of the table, but I did the next best thing. I made my daughter climb on the table.

IMG_0182-1.jpg

It's a sleek LITTLE car!
IMG_0232.jpg

The V-Dub hood seat is a cool idea [cl[cl But for me any hood side louvers would need to be sloped to match the nose angle :) Good to see you making progress and glad you had a good weekend with your daughter.......looks like she enjoyed her test drive :cool:

[P[P[P

I also welded in the bottom 1x1 tubes that will be part of the driveshaft tunnel. (not yet welded in this pic)
IMG_0163-2.jpg

I'm having a hard time deciding how the sheetmetal in this are will all fit together. I haven't found the elegantly simple solution yet. I need to blend the driveshaft tunnel to the front of the seat bases while sealing off the driveshaft...and the whole thing needs to support the weight of the middle part of the car.

For some extra support take some of that 1" and run it from the seat support next to the tranny angled down to the out side edge of the frame, run this above the tube you have running under the tranny. I alway's over think things but for the drive shaft My thought would be run the sides up along your 1" tube and the seat support stopping just above where your seat would finish out at (splitting the bottom of the seat into 2 like buckets with one back like a bench seat) and make your rounded part of the tunnel removable.

Coming along nicely, Flip. Having your daughter standing by it and then siting in it gives the viewer an idea of size.

Last edited:
Coming along nicely, Flip. Having you daughter standing by it and then siting in it gives the viewer an idea of size.

I really wasn't aware at how small the car was until I saw her walking on the table. It looks bigger with everything right in front of my face. For two years I have been worrying that the jag motor was too tall. :)

Flipper,
I can't wait to see this car on it's wheels! Those front frame rails turned out awesome! Doing a great job...keep it going!! [cl[cl[cl

-Troy

I like the hood sides smooth... but if you do louvers, I agree with Snake Farm.

I like the looks of the smooth hood sides too. ...but I need to let the heat out.

As to the angled louvers, the current plan is for the trailing edge of the hood to be straight up and down. I had planned on aligning the louvers to that body line.

Last edited:
I like the looks of the smooth hood sides too. ...but I need to let the heat out.

How much heat do you think will need to be let out? Some of the mid '40's Chevy P/U's had some nice hood side vents. Not nearly as big as the A's vents, but more streamline looking.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!ksE8Oth9sskBPEIZbdCeQ~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!ksE8Oth9sskBPEIZbdCeQ~~60_12.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 37
How much heat do you think will need to be let out? Some of the mid '40's Chevy P/U's had some nice hood side vents. Not nearly as big as the A's vents, but more streamline looking.

The fact that the car is low and the firewall is flat all the way to the bottom (toe boards areen't andled back), the under-hood arrangement doesn't lend itself to air going out under the car. To me, it looks like hot air will get trapped under the hood and stay there.

The smooth sides do look cool but you would have alot of hot air building up, On the cars you have pics of back on post #7 have the small louvers along the top of the hood. But what you have going rigth how look good as is.

Being a pilot..I know a bit about aircraft....

I'm not really sure what you are talking about. Can you post a picture?

Cowl flaps are panels that open to allow more air to flow past the cylinder heads on an air cooled aircraft engine...they can be opened and closed by manual cable or electric control....closed they provide quick warm up when cold and are opened while taxi'ing but are normally closed during flight....they will allow a lot of air to flow past the cylinder heads ....my opinion, with an engine compartment of a water cooled car engine, cowl flaps would be useless.....they entire lower section of the motor is open allowing as much air to flow past the radiator as it can push..... on an aircraft the cowling completely covers the engine and cowl flaps are necessary to insure air flow past the heads during low speeds or taxi situations....not a viable option for a car....JMHO

Attachments

• cowlflap.jpg
    cowlflap.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 24
Gotta admit...

the simplicity is cool as heck!!![cl You guys never cease to amaze me with the out of the box ideas...[cl

Are you filling the tubing with sand? It seems to easy to be true as shown.:confused:

No sand.

That "bender" does a better job on the 1x1 than it does on 1.5x1.5 It leaves dimples on the 1.5 (I was already planning on encasing the swoopy front tubes in cop car sheetmetal, so it doesn't bother me).

Also, I made a lot of little bends to get the sweeping arcs on the side frame rails. If you wanted tighter bends, sand and heat would help.

No sand.

That "bender" does a better job on the 1x1 than it does on 1.5x1.5 It leaves dimples on the 1.5 (I was already planning on encasing the swoopy front tubes in cop car sheetmetal, so it doesn't bother me).

Also, I made a lot of little bends to get the sweeping arcs on the side frame rails. If you wanted tighter bends, sand and heat would help.

Is that 14 gauge tubing (~.083 wall) ?

Latest posts

Back