Graham build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dutch, I appreciate your advice! I'd had that same concern so I've flanged the top and bottom of the part that attaches to the rad, actually double layered and flanged/soldered, and intend to do something similar with the circular to square joint. I also have some small copper rivets that I may add as well for extra insurance! The copper and rivets were left overs from the range hood I'd built a few years ago when we built the new house on the farm. There was no way I could afford to buy one, so I did what us rodders do best.

Well, it's been a busy week. Grass is growing like crazy, and lots of other stuff that keeps my attention from the car. I finally found some time over the last couple of days to finish the shroud. I ended up making a new circular piece, as I changed course a bit and decided I needed to make it a little bit longer. Luckily I had a few more pieces of scrap copper around. I've installed it and fired it up and everything seems to be ok. I haven't driven it yet, it's pouring rain here today, 3/4" in an hour at one point this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get it out tomorrow and confirm that my overheating is cured!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190605_145442.jpg
    thumbnail_20190605_145442.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail_20190605_151521.jpg
    thumbnail_20190605_151521.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 42
  • thumbnail_20190605_151601.jpg
    thumbnail_20190605_151601.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 41
This is a really cool build, shroud is really nice. Wish I had a bunch of that copper, that would look good in a lot of places.

Thanks guys, you are all too kind! (ok, I am pretty proud of how the shroud turned out :) )

I took it out for it's first real "legal" shakedown, no overheating, slipped down to the corner gas station. I still have some dialing in to do, but I'm trusting it a little more each time I take it out. Hopefully take it to town for an ice cream in a day or two. The first real show I have planned for it is Canada day in three weeks.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190607_095026.jpg
    thumbnail_20190607_095026.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 41
Well received at the Canada day car show yesterday. It was a huge hit with the kids but everyone seemed to like it regardless.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1956.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1956.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail_IMG_1955.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1955.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks everyone, it's a blast to drive around in now that I have it somewhat dialed in. I've lowered the rear tire pressure several times now, down to 19 PSI now and it's much more well behaved. Road ripples and cracks seemed to make it jump around in the back, not a lot but it was a bit unnerving.

To answer your tunnel ram question Doc - it's much better than I thought it might be. It starts right up (probably because it's a bit on the rich side), and after a minute or so it'll idle nice and throttle response is decent. It does need to be warm though, when it's cold it's not happy. It does like to rev though and really comes to life when you get on it!

To answer your tunnel ram question Doc - it's much better than I thought it might be. It starts right up (probably because it's a bit on the rich side), and after a minute or so it'll idle nice and throttle response is decent. It does need to be warm though, when it's cold it's not happy. It does like to rev though and really comes to life when you get on it!

Thanks for your reply, Bill. :D

My good friend (also named Bill) told me he wanted to put a tunnel ram on his mild small block Chevy. I shook my head and advised against the idea, but he was adamant and wanted to try the tunnel ram... win, lose or fail...

Long story short... our local Holley wizard provided a pair of 390's, another friend and myself helped tune the thing and it runs like a scalded cat, despite everything we thought we knew, heard or read about tunnel rams on a street car.

Thanks again for your reply. Your results and the other Bill's results seem very much alike... it's not happy when it's cold, but when it's warm and fully lubricated, it goes like hell!

Latest posts

Back