Tim...Ok's 48 F1 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know Tim, I see so many trucks out there with the motor sitting way down low, and it kind of makes the truck look unbalanced. That twin carb intake is gonna be very coolio!!

Here are a few pics of the before and after on my tunnel ram and water pump

Yours looks sick polished, I love it,may have to do that to this one..I've always ran Holleys on my tunnel rams, anywhere from 450's to 750 double pumpers, but i think the Eddies will work good, gonna try'em on this one anyway..

Blacksheep said:
You know Tim, I see so many trucks out there with the motor sitting way down low, and it kind of makes the truck look unbalanced. That twin carb intake is gonna be very coolio!!
I agree, I'm hoping the height of the motor will help to balance that out..as low as my motor is, the tailshaft of my tranny is already above the floor of the truck..go any higher and I'll have to use it for an armrest:D

thanks for the replies..

Tim

Yours looks sick polished, I love it,may have to do that to this one..I've always ran Holleys on my tunnel rams, anywhere from 450's to 750 double pumpers, but i think the Eddies will work good, gonna try'em on this one anyway..

I agree, I'm hoping the height of the motor will help to balance that out..as low as my motor is, the tailshaft of my tranny is already above the floor of the truck..go any higher and I'll have to use it for an armrest:D

thanks for the replies..

Tim

Well let me know and i'll get the info to ya for my buddy who does the polishing for ya

He did mine for $200 shipped which it cheap as hell :)

Last edited:
Time to make the headers

I had a buddy of mine looking for an old set of headers I could cut up..I shoulda kept looking..he got this set with a truck he just bought, didn't realize til i got them home that they were 1.75" tube step headers..they should work great, but instead of being able to weld them into the flange, I had to cut the tubes about 1/2" out from the flange and butt weld the tubes..anyway pics:D I cut out 16 gauge, took it to work and used the slip roll to roll in into something somewhat resembling a cone..first time to ever try to use it..definitely need more practice on that tool..I swear I didn't make my megaphones out of diamond plate, that 16 gauge was stored laying on top of a sheet of diamond plate:D

0831112033.jpg

didn't take any pics during, but heres a couple after
0904110712.jpg

0904110713.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality..I gotta quit being lazy and start using the camera instead of my ghetto phone..

Tim

With the new baby, haven't had much shop time, but get out there when I can.. took some better pics of my headers

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

been working on my doors, real happy with how this one turned out, I like the look of the exposed hinges, so did it the old school way,swapped hinges side to side..
IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

still gathering parts for my real motor

IMG_1268.jpg

built a new cart for my plasma and welding supply tool box..this will get boxed in with some shelving, maybe even drawers..but for now I just needed it to hold stuff off the floor and roll:D

IMG_1269.jpg

oh, and did a little tuning on the big block in my old chebbie..it's been pretty neglected for the past few years while it didn't have a home

IMG_1267.jpg

Tim, I had to cut the tubes on my used headers about 1.5" away from the flange also. Mine being SBF , the exhausts ports were kind of square. That made it a little more difficult. If you can find someone with some stock pipes from a Harley big twin, the baffles in them work very well. I also used the baffle fiberglass wrap that was inside them. You may have a buddy who has a set of stock exhausts laying around. I think everyone who owns a Harley has the stock exhausts hangin in their garage/ hahaa. Looking good.

Just looking at the front end pics, I planned on doing something similar, do you mind sharing what spring you used, and the shackles?

Thanks for the great build pics!

Snakefarm it was a 9 lb 12 oz boy,Chancie Allen

Dirtyrat, the front axle is 56 ford F100 (freebie from a friend), the spring is a $30 utility trailer spring from the farm and ranch store, the perches and shackles came from speedway($35?)..had to slightly turn the od of the shackle bushing to fit into the spring eye, but could have been done on a belt sander easily..the brackets I drew up and had a local shop laser cut ($40) ,I rolled the tubing and machined the bungs for my wishbones then traded a little work for all the heims, so the bones were free..so it's about a $100 front axle assembly:D this thing is low budget all the way and I have never had so much fun working on a vehicle..

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it, it is very similar to the axle I have ('49 ford) Any recommendations on spring rating guys?

I'm going to adapt other trailing arms from another ford possibly, with brackets off the old perch locations with a bracket. Great part is we have laser machines here =)

A chevy in a Ford????:eek:. that's ok, my fords don't. I like the old Ford skin[cl

I'm pretty much a Chevy guy through and through..I get ragged on for even allowing a stripped out F1 cab in my shop but thats OK, it's gonna look more like an IH than a ford when I'm done..hehe

Wow Tim,, Sounds like you got your hands full!! Congrats on the new addition. (the baby mean)lol. Cool truck,, My next build for me i want it to be a 49 International. I'm gonna watch this one.

Thanks NBB, I really like your truck, that thing is so cool..my next one will be an IH for sure..I traded for 2 54's and a 55 awhile back with 2 titles:D this one runs and kinda drives as is..
0814112113.jpg

Nothing picture worthy, but i picked up a felpro gasket set yesterday and a set of rod bearings..Hoping to get started on my real motor soon..its a .030 over 350, forged crank, forged pistons, ported 2.02 heads with alum. roller rockers,noisy gear drive and the tunnel ram...good friend from work gave me the motor a couple years ago..I'm going to clean it up,roll in fresh rod bearings and a coat of Chevy orange and call it done.:D

That truck looks pretty clean, not much rust. Hard to find em like that here in Mich. What are you going to use for latches on your doors? I'm thinking about doing my semi with suicide doors. I might use seat belt locks for latches. I don't know yet. How's your baby?

Who knew a new baby boy was so time consuming:D:D Actually, I did, but it's been awhile.. Just haven't had much shop time at all lately, but I did get my good motor all cleaned up and painted over this past weekend..Got the one piston reinstalled that I pulled for inspection and started replacing the rod bearings in it.. Unless I'm forgetting something, I think I now have everything I need to button this motor up..

and my shifter..
I got this old hurst quarterstick on a trade awhile back..I've got one in my 82 Chevy and just hate cable shifters..so I'm going to rebuilt it into a mechanical linkage shifter that will still use the positive stop gate that works so well on this shifter..but I'm going to add some height and give it a little attitude in the process..Heres part of the disassembled quarter stick and the new piece i had laser cut for it..still got a long ways to go on it..I found a new pivot pin for it at work, chunk of heat treated titanium..that should last awhile:D:D

1020110458.jpg

Latest posts

Back