the 55' willy's build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i got the motor and tranny set into the frame and i welded in the supports/mounts then ill figure out the fuel tank then im gonna take it all back apart and box the whole frame in and add some crossmembers near the tranny ill post some pics when i get new batteries for the digi cam:cool:

ok i got the frame boxed and i started to install both axles for the last time i hope and assembled the disc brake set up the rear axle from my donar car har completly new drum brakes including brand new drums so thats all good got both the tranny crossmember and the motor member welded perminatly

next i have to set the motor n tranny back in and measure to have my drive shaft cut down still having problems finding the right fuel tank but ill get one
i might make the filler neck come up through the bottom of the bed like i saw on a you tube video

Attachments

• pic080907_1.jpg
    pic080907_1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 119
  • pic080907_2.jpg
    pic080907_2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 87
  • pic080907_3.jpg
    pic080907_3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 75
  • pic080907_4.jpg
    pic080907_4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 127
having trouble finding the correct dust cover for my disc brakes....the brake kit is from magnum products and they arnt being helpfull they say that a cover from a 70's camero will work but i tried it and it doesnt.....it hits the end of the spindle before the cap seals so i tried a different year gm cap and it doesnt work either so i got fed up for today and went home ill try napa tomorrow and see if they got one ill take a rotor with me to match it up:mad:

my dust cap woes are still here i cannot find any caps for my rotors/spindles
look at the pictures above can any of you guys tell me if some thing looks wrong
or can you tell me where i can get taller dust caps

my rotors are from a 75 camero and my spindles are 40 ford magnum spindles i got from so-cal speed shop

so i got my harbor freight paint guns went and got paint primer clear sandpaper and cleaner and decided to paint my wheels on the truck....but first off with the old tires right.......so after spending 110 bucks on painting supplies i diddnt want to spend anymore on having junk tires demounted so i thought id do them myself ive done it before....well the first 2 came off just fine....the next one was a great pain everything but fire was used then finally the bead broke so on to the last one.... 2 hours later it wouldnt come off
i got fed up and took it to the local mexican tire shop that is always open on sundays i gave him the tire spent 2 minutes trying out my best spanish...he goes and pops off the tire and hands me my wheel and i ask how much he holds up his hand and says five...i hand him five bucks and off i go....and on the ride home i figured for twenty bucks i could have saved myself about 4 hours of aggravation and pain and sawzall blades so at the end of the day my wheels are still not painted and my back hurts

:mad:

well i got a few things done today...i got my fuel tank mounted and i got my wheels painted i found the fuel tank on craigs list for 10 bucks and my wheels at a junk yard for 6 bucks each...this is the first time ive ever painted with a spray gun (thank you harbor freight)
i think it turned out pretty good.....

Attachments

• jh,gthjk,ghk (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    jh,gthjk,ghk (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 62
  • new wheel (Small).jpg
    new wheel (Small).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 54
  • nhrghnjdgrhndg (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    nhrghnjdgrhndg (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 110
  • untitledjhrnmgfjf (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    untitledjhrnmgfjf (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
and here is my fuel tank all mounted up and the last picture is the original one it was to rusted on the bottom to use plus it had a 6 volt sender on it

Attachments

• tgwertgwe (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    tgwertgwe (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 80
  • untitled (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    untitled (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 59
  • untitledfdfwd (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    untitledfdfwd (Small) (WinCE) (Large) (Small).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 57
  • the 55' rat rod 052 (Small).jpg
    the 55' rat rod 052 (Small).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
got my tires mounted on my wheels and i put them on the truck im still waiting for my spider caps to come in the mail

Attachments

• pic101607_3.jpg
    pic101607_3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 93
  • pic101607_4.jpg
    pic101607_4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 75
  • pic101607_2.jpg
    pic101607_2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 111
holy cow somebody replied......well um its gonna sit on the factory mounts it sorta has a 6 inch channel built in you cant see the frame when the cab is on it...it wont be too low to the ground as this will be a working rat rod i need to carry motorcycles and stuff for the shop

Looks good moto. The spider caps will look great against the black wheel. What did you do about the dust caps being too shallow to cover the spindles?

i still have the dust cap problem ....im thinking about welding 2 caps together but i want my spider caps so i can see if i have room under them to make a tall dust cap

i went to a huge swap meet in glendale az
i picked me up a master cylinder with the booster and the perportioning (sp?)
valve all still together for a whopping 10 bucks its out of a 1990 jeep wrangler
it has the brake light switch and everything i need i was really happy bout that.....as for the spider caps they got them in i just need to go get them
so many parts so little energy:D

Dang it :mad: . I gave a 12 bolt out of a Chevelle SS to a guy about a year ago because it was taking up space in my shop and I didn't think I was ever going to use it. When I say gave, I mean for free.

Holly crap man, anytime you feel the need to give something like that away call me first. lol
The chevelle stuff is worth even more.

Latest posts

Back