1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been working on the small things this past week. I've had a water leak up around the water pump/ thermostat housing. It wasn't the pump though. I couldn't figure out exactly where it was so I ordered a new pump and housing gasket. Since I was going to put on a new gasket might as well change the pump.

Man, I can remember when you could go down to the auto parts store and they would have anything for a SBC or I6 in stock. Now they have to order everything.

I get everything changed and the fan pulley is hitting the pump housing the shaft is too short on the new one. I checked to see if they have short and long shafts for either the car or truck and they list all the same numbers??? So I just throw the old one back on because it was still good. At least it's not leaking anymore.

However the gas tank is.:mad: Its leaking around the bottom mounting flange. So I've drained it and pulled that off and will seal it inside today if it gets warm enough.

Being a car guy, you will find that more people will look a rat rod truck over. Sure mopars, and mustangs get some looks, but the appeal, or interest in a rat is across the board. People follow you, and take pictures on their phones, and give you thumbs up. I have been followed into parking lots so people could get a better look.

Great job on the truck. and the little stuff on your list is pretty minor.

Being a car guy, you will find that more people will look a rat rod truck over. Sure mopars, and mustangs get some looks, but the appeal, or interest in a rat is across the board. People follow you, and take pictures on their phones, and give you thumbs up. I have been followed into parking lots so people could get a better look.

Great job on the truck. and the little stuff on your list is pretty minor.

I know what you mean and Thanks.

I did a little work on the truck yesterday and today. I cleaned, etched and sealed the gas tank yesterday. It better not leak now, it needs another day to dry before I can put gas in it. So, today I cleaned up the wiring under the dash and zip tied it together. I also put in interior lights with door switches and hooked up the voltmeter. I ran the radio power line up in place just so when I decide to install the CD/FM/XM radio it will be there.

Last edited:
Glad to see you having fun with driving it. I will definitly looking back into your thread during my build for hints that you gave. I hope to have it done next summer, but may be extended to help work on my wife chopper build. Will post it up when we get the rolling chassis done.

My Mustang and my AMX still have their original 8 track tape players in them for looks only. Both have hidden CD players.

I want something in the truck that I can listen to not fight tapes all the time.:D

My favorite music is the sound of the tires on the road and the exhaust coming out the pipes!!! :)Glad to see it together. I would not own my 49 if it was not for your thread! I even done chops with some of your photos to get better ideas for what i have in mind for mine.
Can't wait to see the studie build thread!

Thanks Guys, Dqracer, I got to finish my 50 Stude Champ next.

My brother-in -law is here for Thanxgiving and I let him drive the truck. He has a 29 A roadster with a 47 flatty 39 trans with Zepher gears and banjo rear. He said the truck drove just like his roadster, didn't see any problems so I was kinda off happy about that.

He also helped Eddie Barbosa build his roadster pick up.

Here's some pics of my bro-in-laws car
MarksRodster.jpg

rod2.jpg

Last edited:
I worked on the truck today. I had ordered a wiper motor for a 51-52 F1 from Speedway. Turns out the linkage on my truck a 51 was from a 48-50. Must have been an early 51 and they were using up parts. Well I got the correct one and installed it. I also used some adjustable wiper arms from Speedway and 10" blades. The 10" blades would not work so I found some 8 1/2" ones and they will work fine. Pictures to come later.

I also installed a glove box liner from Yogi's it was only $16 so what the heck.

The first car show of the season, the New Mexico Super Nationals, is coming up Feb 6-8, 2009. I'm thinking of entering it with the truck. They have had rat rods before hope it's accepted.

I worked on the truck today. I had ordered a wiper motor for a 51-52 F1 from Speedway. Turns out the linkage on my truck a 51 was from a 48-50. Must have been an early 51 and they were using up parts. Well I got the correct one and installed it. I also used some adjustable wiper arms from Speedway and 10" blades. The 10" blades would not work so I found some 8 1/2" ones and they will work fine. Pictures to come later.

I also installed a glove box liner from Yogi's it was only $16 so what the heck.

The first car show of the season, the New Mexico Super Nationals, is coming up Feb 6-8, 2009. I'm thinking of entering it with the truck. They have had rat rods before hope it's accepted.

Enter the truck. You should be proud to show it. It came out great.

I thought I was done with this build but then you're never done.

Here's the wipers I installed. In the summer you never know when you're going to have an afternoon thunder shower.

019-2.jpg

Here's the motor under the dash.

026-1.jpg

The glove box liner.

020-1.jpg

And an overflow can I had laying around.

029-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back