1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the front discs on today too. I would have loved to have put Buick drums on but they are way to expensive. These are 11" Mid-size Chevy discs for 48 Ford spindles. They were only $200 from Speedway

Had a little problem with the inner and out bearings. The diameters were not the same. So I had to break out the Dremel and take a little off the inside of the bearings. The inner was not too bad but the outer bearing and spindle was off by .025". I wasn't sure if they would fit the 14" wheels I had but they cleared no problem.

I was at the pick and pull salvage yard today to get a few things and see what else might be available. There was a 67 Chevy van and 66 Chevy truck the steering boxes looked to be in good shape. Do you think they would work on a side steer set up. The van one had a side mounted pitman arm and truck one was on the bottom but looked like it could be turned. Any thoughts!

Got some more done on the chassis this week. I had bought a rear end with the brackets already welded on but once I set it up I noticed they were way off. When I put the coil-overs on, the pinion angle was down about 5 degrees and the brackets were off about 5 degrees from each other. So I'm going to send it back! :mad: Then I just ordered some radius rod coil-over brackets from Speedway and got them in 3 days and used a 10 bolt 3.73 posi I had for another project.
DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

I still have to weld the Hair pin brackets to the frame.

DSC_0061.jpg

Last edited:
I then made some lower shock mounting tabs and tacked them to the wish bones. I need to make a combination upper shock and headlight mounting bracket. I've seen some for sale for ~$100 but I think I can make some in less than 10 hours or so. ;)

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

These are what I have in mind. But I'll mount them on top of the frame because there's not much room.

Attachments

• 1095_sm.jpg
    1095_sm.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 65
I think I've decided to go with a reversed Corvair steering box. It looks like it will work the best and have the least bump steer problems. Unless I can find a 48-56 Ford truck steering box.

I stopped at the surplus store to pick up some fastners the other day. They sell nuts, bolts, washers, all types of military fastners, mostly grade 8 for $2 per pound. I also picked up a new shifter knob. Only $10.

IMG_0926.jpg

I wonder if you could sell these on ebay or mail them USPS? :D

Body now on the frame!

Set the body on the frame yesterday to see how it will look. It's sitting on the floor pan right now but I may have to lower it a few more inches or raise the grill up. The grill looks too small. I will have to cut up most of the floor for a trans tunnel anway. That may change when I get the headlights mounted.

DSC_0003-3.jpg

DSC_0001-3.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

I am going to put a 40" long bed on it.
DSC_0004-3.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a mock up of my shock/headlight mounting bracket. I still need to add a piece on the top left for the headlight to mount.

DSC_0012.jpg

Bracing on the interior for when I cut the rest of the foor out and chop the top 4"

DSC_0010.jpg

Next project 1954 Studebaker R3. It's been in my wife's family since new. How do you like that patina?

DSC_0013.jpg

You are coming along nicely. On my grandson's truck we used pretty large headlights to widen the look of the nose of the truck. If your trucks were from here the bottom 8 inches would be missing, cuz around here, rust never sleeps.

Different Direction

I got the engine and trans in this morning. With the axle mounting point under the wishbones I had only 2" of clearance under the oil pan. :eek: Way too low for comfort. So, I put on the bat wings and hair pins I had and that raised it 2.5" to 4.5", way better! :)

I will drill and sleeve a mounting hole in the wishbone to raise it about the same. I would still like to use the "bones" and run the tie rod behind the wheels to get the correct Akermann but still might not be able to because of clearance issues. Still trying to figure that one out.

Might have to use the hair pins?

DSC_0005-3.jpg

I also cut the pipes off the headers I had and will weld on new ones coming straight out anged down. I'll run it like that and see how loud it is. If too loud I'll get some 1.5" motorcycle pipe baffles.

DSC_0004-4.jpg

I also set the Corvair box on. The drag link does not intersect the radius rod mounting point but is close. Might have to find a longer pitman arm if possible.

DSC_0002-3.jpg

Your rods looking good, I know you hate to give up the bones I realy like that look too. on mine I Z" my frame in front and went with a stock axel to keep my bones. your moveing right along. keep up the good work Doug

Finally got a chance to work on the truck again. I was at a 3 day indoor Musclecar Show last weekend. I still haven't downloaded the pictures yet because our computer died last week and we just got a new one yesterday and we haven't loaded the camera software yet. I'll post photos of the show and latest work on the truck as soon as thats done.

Today I channeled the body 2.5". I was going to do 4" but I goofed up on the body mounts I made and could only go 2.5". Once I dropped it, it looked OK at 2.5" so I'll just leave it at that. I have 6" clearance at the bottom of the doors. If I want a lower look I can add a rocker panel.

DMW; That truck looks great; When you gonna cut that top. I'm about to start the chop on my 50f1. Got the gas tank and the gas lines run this week. Been on vacation all week. Wanted to do the top but thought it would be easier to do the other before the cab was set back on. We need more PICS. (chop that top):D:D

Latest posts

Back