'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slipped out to the garage for an hour and re-positioned the last section I tacked in. Did some measuring with a straight edge and didn't like how it was lining up. Better now.

I hope to get some garage time in the next couple days while my wife is in GA. [;)

How do you handle that top? Do you have help or a hoist?

I keep it close and bend at the knees when I lift. ;)

When I first cut it, it was pretty well balanced so I just propped it up and positioned it - one corner at a time until I got it. After I cut it in half, I slid it back on some boards, tilted it, and carried it off. It wasn't all that heavy.

Nothing too exciting. Finished welding up the other A post and put a small section in the middle of the roof gap. I had to prop up the rear section a bit in the middle and also cut a couple relief cuts into the sides of the rear section.

Attachments

• IMGP0078a.jpg
    IMGP0078a.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMGP0080a.jpg
    IMGP0080a.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 68
Used a roof brace I saved from the Cutlass donor, cut it in half and tacked it in to push up the roof right - not sure if I'll keep it or not.

attachment.php

And made the rest of the patches for the roof gap and started tacking them into place - both at the same time. Slow going.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0092a.jpg
    IMGP0092a.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMGP0093a.jpg
    IMGP0093a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 230
Coming right along. I like the brace actually - makes it look almost "factory".

Looking forward to pics of the whole thing once you get it done. [P

Well no red X’s here. That’s a tough one to chop but it sure looks like you’ve got it concurred. [cl

On that scrap, I’ve got a brother-in-law from Red Bud IL. :D

Sure is a small world.

Thanks all. Got a couple more hours on it - just trying to get the gap patches tacked in right. It's slow going. I already see I'm getting some shrinkage around the middle patch.

I'm not going to get cocky on this at all because I know it could leave me in utter despair real quick.

*I'm not going to get cocky on this at all because I know it could leave me in utter despair real quick. *

I would have already pulled out what's left of my hair

Looks to me like you got it covered, great job!!!!![;)
And I thought I was nuts for doing my sedan/coupe sorta thing[S
You got some big'ns for sure, but I know you will pull it off just perfect[cl

Got the roof all tacked. I put my space heater in the car to heat the roof and the garage. Though it might help keep down warpage. Time will tell.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0101a.jpg
    IMGP0101a.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 246
Informative Sam. Looking good.. I've always been intimidated by that mid roof cut--never tried it--there always seems to be a high risk of a ripple/flat spot there that I doubt I could get out. I've seen guys hammer/dolly it out, but when I've tried that method before, what I was beating on usually got worse:eek:..

Takes some skills--I'm looking forward to your results.

'Preciate your showing the work.

PA41.

No skill here, just tenacity.

Continued tacking the roof and while cooling started in on fixing the door curve of the C-pillars and put the A-pillar drip edges back.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0129a.jpg
    IMGP0129a.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMGP0131a.jpg
    IMGP0131a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 229
No skill here, just tenacity.

Continued tacking the roof and while cooling started in on fixing the door curve of the C-pillars and put the A-pillar drip edges back.

attachment.php

That looks like trouble...I can't wait to see the before & after, side-by-side!

Great job, I love following your progress.
-Chaz

That looks like trouble...I can't wait to see the before & after, side-by-side!

Great job, I love following your progress.
-Chaz

It's just the way the picture turned out. There's just a 1/2 mile of weld on there that'll have to be ground.

Latest posts

Back