MACKAZs 22 Buick model 45 Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blank canvas all cleaned up. Let's build a seat!!!!

2gt7via.jpg

Starting tomorrow night.......

Really struggling for ideas for this seat. I've decided and been approved to run 4 point harnesses, so saves making tricky seatbelt posts etc. Only stipulation is seat needs to be to OEM standard, needs to incorporate voids for the belts to pass through and has to have a headrest. What are you guys running and what did you build it out of? Thanks

Unfortunately they're a country mile too wide. Every original car seat will not fit in the gap. I was going to try to build a bench seat back with a cut it fit base that goes between the driveshaft tunnel and outer panel. I also want it as low as possible to make the back as low as possible. Anyone done anything along those lines?

MACKAZ, what is the width between the doors where the front of the seats needs to be. There's all kinds of third row seats like bama mentioned. I'm getting one for the cab of the chevy I'm on but the guy that has that also has the other side and it was narrower still. If we knew what length you have to work with, maybe somebody in the audience can give you ideas on what vehicle to seek. I imagine that '22 is narrower than my 31 in which I found one 42" wide worked great. They pretty much all have a simple metal frame and a lot crap bolted to them but it comes off down to the basics. Plymouth Voyagers, Dodge vans, some of Ford vans and suvs. Even some of the old school buses had simple 2 seat pods that could be converted pretty easy!

I had a seat out of a bus in it originally, problem was the steering wheel was in my lap and the top of the door was not far off being in line with my hips. Even early Mini seats (about as small as we get over here) measure too wide. I'll have to measure it up but with both me and wifey (we are both big people) it's pretty much shoulder to shoulder. I'll get old boy around and bounce some ideas off him.

AH, interesting idea! Build it too narrow and leave wifey at home huh! [ddd:D

Seriously tho, now's the time to change it to something that works! The smallest thing I can think of off my head is Jump seats out of an extended cab S10...little dinky things you could use as buckets. Or Jeep CJ rear seats for a bench 33 1/2" wide...

Cool rod. I'm fond of 6cyl engines. My rat sports a 250 cube 6 banger. That front suspension looks very familiar to the old 49-50ish chevrolet cars and later corvettes (57 ish) [cl[P

I had a seat out of a bus in it originally, problem was the steering wheel was in my lap and the top of the door was not far off being in line with my hips. Even early Mini seats (about as small as we get over here) measure too wide. I'll have to measure it up but with both me and wifey (we are both big people) it's pretty much shoulder to shoulder. I'll get old boy around and bounce some ideas off him.

Look at a Suzuki Sierra rear seat...

We'll watch this space. I have the chance to acquire the engine I wanted to put in it originally. Bigger displacement, far more power, not a Holden, and a million times cooler. Not going to reveal until it's in my shed though. I've got fingers and toes crossed this all works out

Just read your whole build. Looking awesome man. It’s funny before I started building it seemed I had plenty of time and after I started I have no time at all.
Keep at it :cool::cool:

Thanks man. I don't spend nowhere near enough time on this. Wifey has me fixing house issues most of my time now/I'm extremely lazy/tired.... I need to go and collect the engine(s) very soon. Still trying to figure out this seat. Pretty much going to just start making something and go with that....

Latest posts

Back