Nick's 52 Chevy COE build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick50471

I'm new here and new to ratrods. I scored this truck from my late grandfather. Originally it had a livestock box on it. The plans are simple enough for now...

I'm looking for a mid eighties 3500 dually donor truck. I have a 468ci BBC from a friends drag car and a TH400 I built for a rock crawler. I'm planning on building a flatbed out of old barn timbers. The cab will get repaired and cleaned but the paint is staying.

So while I'm looking for a donor truck I'll be pulling the cab off the frame and cleaning it up.

Cool project but it kinda seems like a mishmash of parts. A drag engine and a rock crawler tranny? I'd think any decent drag engine would be a pain it the toosh to drive around in a big truck.

Cool project but it kinda seems like a mishmash of parts. A drag engine and a rock crawler tranny? I'd think any decent drag engine would be a pain it the toosh to drive around in a big truck.

The motor is a bit much. I'm going to add an E85 carb and an AEM stand alone ECU to monitor the octane and adjust timing accordingly. The cam will likely need to get changed to something a bit tamer. We'll see.

The tranny is not geared any different than any other TH400. I installed a reverse shift kit and all manual valve body. Holds any gear at any RPM.

Ah, yes. I guess it just seems that purpose built off road assemblies don't always behave well for average street driving.
I think about the end of the muscle car era and the beginning of the 70s oil embargo, most of us were tired of trying to drive solid lifter, single plane, 4 speed, 4.11 geared cars for daily drivers. Ever try to hold a Hayes clutch at a stop light? haha. Well I still remember those days and like my street stuff more fun to drive now. Old memories die hard.

Man what a rad truck. I absolutely love it. There's one at a fab shop by my house and the guy got so sick of people stopping to ask how much he put a "not for sale " sign on it. I know you already said it but please don't touch the paint.
Can't wait to see this, oh and welcome.

Great looking ole truck and the story of your Grandfather owning it is icing.
Bullet hole couldn't have gotten any closer to the center of the window if they had of tried.
20150907_164029-01_zpsf51xmwbm.jpeg

Great looking COE.

Sounds like you have a plan. I would urge you to consider a van chassis. Because a van has a similar set-back front axle configuration, the steering is much easier to align. On my COE, I used the original rag joint from the donor van. It fit so well, it wasn't necessary to use any steering joints.

Having said that, it's yours. Build it like you want. If I can be of assistance, let me know. And welcome to RRR.

Lynn

Sounds like you have a plan. I would urge you to consider a van chassis. Because a van has a similar set-back front axle configuration, the steering is much easier to align. On my COE, I used the original rag joint from the donor van. It fit so well, it wasn't necessary to use any steering joints.

Having said that, it's yours. Build it like you want. If I can be of assistance, let me know. And welcome to RRR.

Lynn

You are the second person to suggest this and since I haven't bought anything yet it is definitely a possibility.
Couple questions for you. Do you have a build thread for your COE build? If so a link?
What motor are you running? Does the front axle being set back interfere with the oil pan? My motor has a large racing pan. This is easily changed of course.

Old motorhomes are dirt cheap and make good COE chassis too. That is if you have a way to get rid of the body. The reason they are cheap is the scrap yards won't take then usually. I bought a smaller Winny chassis mostly stripped off for $50 but I see whole running motorhomes for $1000 or less.

Nice old truck. Good luck with it.
Shakey 56 build thread is listed underneath his post. Just click oh the http address.
Welcome to RRR from New Mexico. Good to have you here.

You are the second person to suggest this and since I haven't bought anything yet it is definitely a possibility.
Couple questions for you. Do you have a build thread for your COE build? If so a link?
What motor are you running? Does the front axle being set back interfere with the oil pan? My motor has a large racing pan. This is easily changed of course.

Nick...most of your questions will be answered if you check out my build thread. My c member did not interfere with the oil pan but I think that would depend on the van (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.) and the motor. Lots of measuring required. Any more questions, gimme a holler.
Lynn

Nick...most of your questions will be answered if you check out my build thread. My c member did not interfere with the oil pan but I think that would depend on the van (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.) and the motor. Lots of measuring required. Any more questions, gimme a holler.
Lynn

Nice. I have bookmarked your build thread for reference

Latest posts

Back