Nick's 52 Chevy COE build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that Chevy has a real frame. Same with the Dodge class C, only the Ford. You have to look toward a class A motorhome or the P chassis like the delivery. for a separate chassis.

The guy with the van got back to me. It has a SBC. Not what I'm looking for. I can wait to find a van, box truck or motorhome with a 454. I really need the goods with the 454. The motor I have has nothing since it came out of a drag car. I know I can find it all at a yard but I won't need to if I get the right donor rig.

I don't think that Chevy has a real frame. Same with the Dodge class C, only the Ford. You have to look toward a class A motorhome or the P chassis like the delivery. for a separate chassis.

Why wouldn't it have a real frame? The other guy that recommended I use a van used a GMC Vandura 3500 on his COE

Chevy and GMC 3500 have a unibody frame. My Dad and I built a custom fifth wheeler hauler out of a 1988. The frame is welded to the floor pan.

I would suggest a old Winnebago also. The one I plan on using in my Coe was gave to me and has a running 440 in it. With a little tinkering we drove it home.

I would suggest a old Winnebago also. The one I plan on using in my Coe was gave to me and has a running 440 in it. With a little tinkering we drove it home.

I've been knee deep in CL looking for Class A motorhomes in Southern Missouri, Arkansas and Eastern Kansas. I'm not buying some rusted out junk from up north where I live. Funny though that One of the Winnebago factories is about twenty miles from my house and the Home of Winnebago is forty miles.

No, they really don't. I spent a lot of time under those things trying to weld them back together. Any thing that resembled a frame ended at the rear spring hangers and a lot of them just buckled right there if they had too much rear overhang. The chassis were delivered to the coach maker with a floorpan because all the torque boxes are welded to it. I'm not sure on the newer stuff, this is 80s stuff I am familiar with.

Been busy over the Holidays. We spent a week in San Diego on vacation. My youngest and I have been deer hunting as well. Just waiting for the big feller to get in range.

Cab cart.

Hey Nick.
You will be surprised how light the cab is. I was prepared for mine to be heavy but it wasn't. I lifted mine with my motor hoist.

I have a friend building a chevy cabover like yours. He is using a 1994 GMC cube van for a donor. It IS a unibody....NO FRAME! Thought you would want to know.

Lynn

So I took a little break from work and designed up a quick cab cart.

Using 2"x2"x 1/4" angle and 2"x4"x 3/16" tube. 6' wide x 10' long. length and width will be adjusted once I get to measure the cab mounts.

Steel $102.20
Casters $94.67
Hardware $10.00

Latest posts

Back