Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks man, feels like I am dragging

I cut the inners to make room for the rad, I have done this before (using the original S10 rad) and its nice because you keep the trans cooler and dont need to really adapt anything, even the rad hoses fit. I am even able to use the stock fan shroud, modified slightly for the raised rad.

IMG_1025 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the rad has to sit up a little higher than stock because of the power steering lines, but it still fits under the hood.
IMG_1026 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

start with cardboard templates, this side can be a c channel because I took out the superfluous oil cooler, then duplicate in steel with tabs to weld in.

IMG_1027 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1028 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1030 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1032 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1057 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

passenger side. this side will need further modification for the AC condenser lines, and for the rad/lower trans cooler hoses to go along the inner fender.
IMG_1033 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1058 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I think I used all my clamps (at least as many as I could find in a short time) on holding this in to check the fit. but it fits, and has room to sandwich the condenser. the width of the core is only about an inch wider on each sid than the opening in the 49 core support, so plenty of airflow is expected.

IMG_1056 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1055 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1054 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

once I get the holes for the rad rubber bushings cut and the condenser test fit I will weld it all up. today I went after a seat though, called around and one shop said "we have more that need work that arent listed on the website" so I took a drive. found this beauty in a public school transport suburban, I am guessing public school because of the cage haha. it was already recovered once but I will recover it again. (well have it done)

IMG_1066 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

they let me wander around to look at seats so I had the run of the place for a while. I have a plan for a steering wheel but I got the bench and this wheel (GMC!) for 75 buckaroos.

IMG_1060 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

saw these rare wagons languishing there too.
IMG_1069 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1074 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

ran the seat to the upholstery shop and right out his back door found these, never can tell what is in peoples back yards.

IMG_1080 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1082 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1083 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I went with a nice chili red, no picture but think of cinnamon hearts. got matching carpet and some extra pleats made for the door panels. no picture but he works fast. expensive day, but worth it!

more coming!:mad:

I built the little rad rubber standoffs and mocked up the core and the rad. everything fit perfectly so I am ready to build the top mounts and the sir directors and MOVE ON.

IMG_1084 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1085 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1086 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1091 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1093 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1094 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the condensor sits in rubber lower mounts and is sandwiched bewteen the core support and the rad, just like in the s10.

once I get the air directors and some other mounts done under hood, its time to clean everything off the frame and finish weld the mounts.

Nice to see you're using the S10 rad.

waste not want not!

today was beautiful! partly cloudy and low temp/humidity, just super-fied gorgeous. I decided to clean the garage (again) because all the rust and dust I have been beating off Wamego (again). my beautiful wife was home so I went ahead and pushed the truck outside by myself.

IMG_1120 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

checked fender alignment, looking great so far.

IMG_1124 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1123 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the new tire size will be almost the same diameter in the back and just a little bigger up front.

popped the hood back on just to be sure, its still up in the back on the drivers side because of the dent put there by "I dunno". you can see the big half moon crease.

IMG_1150 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1131 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

here is a good tip, if you buy a bed as a truck bed trailer and they left you a piece of running board on each side, you can use 1 ton running boards and slice the last inch or so off to make a short running board.

img_11897 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1148 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1147 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1129 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I was cleaning up and actually took a picture of the chevy tailgate I took off to put on craigslist for a quick buck. but then I thought, will I ever need it in the future and wish I had kept it?

IMG_1135 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

went in for a bite of dinner and this I am not kidding popped up at the top of the ads.

IMG_1153 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

ok so now I need to keep the tailgate. two beds, one with a tailgate, for less than I would have asked for my tailgate. pretty nice shape too. when I picked it up I took extra money in case he had other stuff I wanted, he had a camaro stub and rearend there on the ground.

IMG_1151 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I didnt buy it but made a mental note in case I need it.

tomorrow I blow it all apart for the last time! should be able to finish weld, then grind and paint the frame and clean out the cab.

my wife AND my daughter were BOTH home this morning, so I got the bed AND front clip off by myself. :D

IMG_1157 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I got all the fender bolts out except the core side, because my dumb butt thought you could change the fender without changing the inner. even though I just put the other side together. [S HUBRIS!

found a leaf spring bolt in my parts stash and thought I better change it out for that one I cut before I did something galactically stupid like try to drive it. the extension was to tap the old one out without losing the spring, but there was almost no tension on it.

IMG_1158 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1159 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got the front sanded and painted right after lunch (missing the areas I had to weld) and the rear painted right before dinner.

IMG_1160 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1165 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

all the mounts are finish welded now.

IMG_1168 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just need gussets, and a couple "cab-off" tasks (like fuel line hookups, driveshaft, exhaust fix and O2 wiring) and its ready for final assembly. plan is to drive this weekend, I have a new contract starting next tuesday, lets see how my luck holds out.

I ALMOST didnt buy them. I had to have been the first person to see the ad for sure. and the price like I said was less than I would have sold my extra tailgate for. but it was literally sell the tailgate and eat for a day (buy piddly parts and stuff with the money) or buy the beds, starve for the day but feast when I need them.

my LMC truck order showed up, its not really like I was dying to get anything right away, but they are literally 3 hours away in lenexa and it still took almost a full week to ship things listed as "IN STOCK". had I known I would have just driven to lenexa and saved the $40 shipping. got some stuff I cant get at bowtie bits like the front glass and door glass, and new bed strips. which I just got two beds worth of good strips haha HUBRIS.

got the backs of the mounts made and welded up, and the exhaust repaired. remember I bought this truck with a "bad cat", but he had already removed it, and had removed the rear O2 sensor as well. luckily I noticed a while back and bought the sensor and piece of pipe back from him, it would have cost a couple hundred dollars to replace!

IMG_1171 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1178 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

also got the fuel lines re-hooked and routed. need a new fuel filter, better to do now with the cab off instead of later from underneath. also put the driveshaft in. guys who are running a 700R4 or 4L60e and a V8 or V6 that is right up at the firewall, this is what a reg cab shortbed driveshaft looks like. POYfect.

IMG_1175 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I would be ready for the cab tomorrow but while its on the ground I want to make the neighbors mad again grind that deep rust off the roof. I got a good tooth on it today with the 40 grit flap wheel and thought the grinder timed out from the workout, but it had just come unplugged. :rolleyes: good stopping point for the day anyway, it was only about 80 but the sun was out for sure.

IMG_1176 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

well, as I was working I had lots of internet time and I overspent, as per usual. :D

I bought two 53s, a 1 ton and a 1 1/2 ton, they both come with kansas titles so no registration worries. they are BLUE, after the long string of green trucks. although its been several different shades of green. the 1 ton I have a nice blue bed in the back yard, and for the 1 1/2 ton I can use one of the beds I just picked up, but I dont have a front clip for it.

or rather, I didnt. I drove an hour north saturday and picked up two complete 1/2 ton front clips, some good doors, and a buttload of spare stuff even a stock seat frame. I sold a little of the random stuff right away and broke even (except gas), so thats good.

I drilled locating holes in the hood hinges and removed them so I could get paint behind them. I fixed the rusted outer skins with some patches, treated the rest because I dont want a career in rust repair.

IMG_1314 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1317 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1320 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1322 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I took the right side of the front clip apart so I could change the fender. some of the extra parts that came with that recent purchase were 3 good pair of inner fender braces. this is kind of important to me, because with the front end damage this truck had the drivers one was bent pretty severely and I was really wondering how I would fix it, either a slice and weld or maybe a torch visit. with the spare parts I was done really quickly and I even switched the passenger side too because the bolts were broken off (lazy!)

IMG_1323 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1324 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I did other stuff, some floor repair, the windshield repair is done but not ground down yet. I repaired both of the lower jamb outer skins that were rotted, so the cab rust is behind me now. interesting note, I guessed that the curve of those jambs would be roughly the same as the rear cab corner and so I was able to use the leftovers from that patch to fix the front.

I hate rust repair. the two 53 trucks have great floors, they were shedded for years.

Latest posts

Back