Lincoln 460 Advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivanogburn

I have a 1960 Ford F100 that I have installed a 1971 Lincoln 460. The intake and exhaust are stock 1971 Lincoln. I have also installed a 750cfm Carter carb and the truck has a 9in rear end, so it already moves!.

I am looking for suggestions as to the right intake and header to install to go that extra step and push the engine.

I am learning as I go - as all my past restorations were stock.
Help me become the rodder I want to be!:D

You've got one of the last good 460's, because they got smog laden after that. I would simply put a good dual plane intake on it, your 750 is an appropriate size , and then I would add a good electronic, vacuum advance distributor, like a Mallory, etc. Also add a good set of aftermarket plug wires, like Taylor, etc.

Anything else you do will involve tearing into the motor, like doing a cam change, etc. One thing that gives more of a seat of the pants feeling of power than anything is going to lower gears (numerically higher). If you have something like 3:00 to 1, a change to 3:50 to 1 will really make a difference. But, anything you do has one bad effect.............gas milage. More power takes more gas, and 460's are not exactly misers anyway. :D

Headers if available and free flowing mufflers will help a lot too.

You are on the right track, and asking the right questions.

Don

This SUCKS!

So I found the number on my 1971 Lincoln 460 and it is D3VE-A2A!
So it is a 1973 Lincoln engine (or later?) and not the 1971 I was told. :mad:

So what has this cost me as far as power?
What can I do (other than beat the sh*t out of the guy) to improve my engine?

Essentially it is the same engine as the '71, with slightly lower compression (via pistons) and the heads may be more smog oriented. Still not a bad engine though. I've got a built 460 sitting for some future project, and it is based on a '73 block, so you don't have a dog there by any means.

If you want more performance, you can raise the compression ratio a little with flat or flatter topped pistons, earlier heads, and a little more cam. Unless you really want HP though, I would simply freshen it up and see how you like it the way it is. Even a very mild 460 is no slouch.

Don

theres still alot you can do. i don't know of any direct bolt on stuff necessarily. But your best bet is a solid refresh. Go through the motor and fix all the leaks. get some 8.0 wires from jegs for $35, new spark plugs, gap and index. if it's points and you can, go to an electronic ignition, upgrade your coil, adjust your timing, get a edelbrock 750 or 850 and tune it up right. a two inch open plenum spacer will move your power band up a little hood clearance permiting. air cleaner, oil change and seafoam. throw some glasspacks on there.

sorry if i recapped stuff you already did, just making a list off the top of my head. also, if you've got an automatic in there,look around you may be able to find a little bit higher stall convertor. you said you have a ford 9", do you know what the gears are? 4:11 or 3.70 would be the way to go for power.

Do a compression test. I build engines for a living and do a lot of HOT ROD stuff for all the local guys. That 460 should be a TORQUE MONSTER! Get a good gauge and see what the number is. I just did a cheap 383 chevy for my 68 chevy truck and it pumps 165 psi. It is a REAL BLAST to drive! It's all about the pressure in the cylinder, and how much air you can get through the engine. That engine is probably only 8.5 compression so a cam that closes the intake valve early will make more pressure, hence more TORQUE. I think there are two different timing chain sets for those engines. You want the early one that does not retard the cam! A cam like the EDELBROCK PERFORMER might be a good choice. If you are on a budget you can find inexpensive cams that are the same grinds from companies like CLEVITE and MELLING. Watch out for coil bind at max lift.Tell us what it pumps.

Thanks Don! Glad to be here! I did some research on The timing chain sets. It seems that Ford made POLICE CARS using 460 engines in 1975 and 1976. They list a different gear for the crankshaft. The cloyes part number is s-421. I would be willing to bet money s-421 advances the cam to where it should be. I also looked at camshafts and 460 FORDS have a 1.75 ratio rocker arm. They gain valve lift very quickly as you make the duration longer. I do not know how soon the stock springs will coil bind. The comp cams 260H 34-225-4 cam only has .484 lift, it might clear stock springs. It closes the intake valve 2 degrees later than the stock cam. I do not think this would change the pumping compression at all. It has a much earlier intake opening which should let more air in and increase TORQUE! Hey DON! Last time I visited my FAVORITE mother in law in Florida my WIFE and I went to the THOMAS EDISON winter home in FORT MEYERS.

Thanks Don! Glad to be here! I did some research on The timing chain sets. It seems that Ford made POLICE CARS using 460 engines in 1975 and 1976. They list a different gear for the crankshaft. The cloyes part number is s-421. I would be willing to bet money s-421 advances the cam to where it should be. I also looked at camshafts and 460 FORDS have a 1.75 ratio rocker arm. They gain valve lift very quickly as you make the duration longer. I do not know how soon the stock springs will coil bind. The comp cams 260H 34-225-4 cam only has .484 lift, it might clear stock springs. It closes the intake valve 2 degrees later than the stock cam. I do not think this would change the pumping compression at all. It has a much earlier intake opening which should let more air in and increase TORQUE! Hey DON! Last time I visited my FAVORITE mother in law in Florida my WIFE and I went to the THOMAS EDISON winter home in FORT MYERS.

I have a 70 model 460 out of a Lincoln in my 41.When I pulled the motor and trans out of the car it still had the plate on the core support telling about the motor.It has 365 Hp ,I dont deal with alot of ford motors but got to checking around and these motors came out with "dove heads" suppose to be bigger valved heads.If you go and install a to large of a cam it will effect your Hp and Torque numbers.Oh yeh,the factory torque is around 520

Like I said a 460 is a TORQUE MONSTER! You don't need alot of gear with one of these engines. A big cam is not needed! A light car or truck with 3.00 gears, a stock converter, and a cam less than [email protected] duration, would be an awesome combination. It would be a BLAST to drive and just right for CRUISIN' down the highway!

Latest posts

Back