Greetings From NORCAL!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboRay

Greetings from Placerville, aka "Old Hangtown", in the gold country of Northern California. My home is about 10 miles south of Sutter's Mill in Coloma, where gold was discovered in 1848.

I recently purchased a RPU "package" from Last Refuge Hot Rods in Colorado which included a channeled steel body with hinged/latched doors and a flat firewall, a bare frame w/kickups, a bed (I chose 3-ft), a hinged tailgate and rear frame covers. I've also collected numerous brake and suspension pieces, and a couple of '51 Merc flatties in preparation for "the build".

The motors will be machined by Yosemite Machine Shop in Modesto (MoTown) and the first to be built will have milled EAB heads, mild porting, 3/4-race cam, Fenton manifolds & dual exhaust, and an early Ford aluminum 2bbl intake with a Rochester 2GC carb. The other one (assuming both pass magnaflux inspection) will be built later on with finned heads, multiple carbs and extensive porting. Both will be 1/8"x1/8", with the additional stroke coming from offset grinding the crank to 2-inch rod-journal diameter. Neither will be relieved.

I'm gonna use a T-5 tranny and a Ford 8-inch rearend. I was originally planning to use a banjo rearend with no bed (ala, "Lakes Modified"), so it would look more traditional - but, after being convinced by wifey to add the bed for storage while traveling (thus hiding the diff), I decided to go the cheap and easy route by just using a Pinto/Must II diff from the J/Y.

I'm looking forward to getting some help from you experts and I also feel that I can contribute some of my own experience to y'all. Sooooo............in the immortal words of Minnie Pearl - HOWWWWDY!!! :)

C'ya - RAY

Welcome!!!

Ray,
Welcome to the forum... lotz o truckers in these parts & glad 2 have another 1! Of course... we're gonna wanna see some pictures & wanna follow along with u're progress. Make u're self @ home!!!

BoB

Hi Ray, Welcome to the site. it will be fun to follow along with yo on this build and see how this whole thing turns out. What comes with a "package"?

Welcome to RRR TurboRay. Nice description of your project. It sounds interesting. What type of grill, windshield, wheels/tires do you plan to use?

THANX for the "welcome", guys!

Bonehead: said:
Hi Ray, Welcome to the site. It will be fun to follow along with you on this build and see how this whole thing turns out. What comes with a "package"?

My RPU package from Last Refuge Hot Rods included a lengthened steel body w/hinged & latched doors (channeled or high-boy, recessed or flat firewall), a steel bed (choice of length), hinged tailgate, a Model A frame and frame "covers" (that go underneath the bed) - all for 5 grand! Not too shabby, IMHO.
thumbup.gif

I ordered it with front and rear frame kickups and optional front bed pockets for slightly more (150 bux for each "kick" & 35 bux for the pockets). If you click on the above link, and choose "28-29 RPU package" - you can see some pix. The quality seems very good for the price - altho I have no basis for comparison, having never carefully inspected a Ford or aftermarket counterpart.
dunno.gif

Gastrick: said:
What type of grill, windshield, wheels/tires do you plan to use?
Just a stock '29 grill and probably smoothie wheels w/beauty rims for starters. The tires will be skinn/ribbed 16-inch Firestones from Coker (26" front & 29" rear). I actually bought a set of five '35 Ford wires off eBay in ignorance, not knowing that they wouldn't bolt up to my front F1 drums (DOHHH)- so, they're for sale, sandblasted and in good shape (← shameless plug).

As for the windshield, I MAY cut down a curved one from a (gasp) VW Superbeatle and mount it without a frame! I know, I know - it's not traditional. But, It has a very MILD curve that'll form well to the curve at the top of the cowl when its layed back slightly.

I haven't figured out where I'm gonna come up with the special pillars - but I DID see an article on the HAMB where the poster built some outta hardwood and they looked pretty darn good!! None of this windshield deal is etched in stone, however, so I may change my alleged mind.
dunno.gif

C'ya - RAY

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back