Electric engine swaps

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some electric cars do use regenerative braking, putting power back into the system. If you've ever ridden a bicycle with a generator to power a light, you know it takes effort to pedal it and keep it lit. Generating power is not free so that home made setup won't help that much.... :(
Putting a solar panel on the roof would be much more effective.
Dont some of the tesla cars have a solar roof??
I could be wrong

Some electric cars do use regenerative braking, putting power back into the system. If you've ever ridden a bicycle with a generator to power a light, you know it takes effort to pedal it and keep it lit. Generating power is not free so that home made setup won't help that much.... :(
Putting a solar panel on the roof would be much more effective.

Exactly, the energy expended to turn what appears to be a small alternator, which won't product enough juice to charge anything, is not zero. This "solution" is someone's boyish idea and not a solution to having to stop for a charge.

You're right, they do use regenerative braking. A youtuber I follow did a Turbo Honda Civic engine in a Prius, what they didn't expect is the brakes are terrible because the Prius in stock form relies so heavily on drag when slowing down to charge up the electric system. This is a good example of why they use regenerative braking, you're using energy to work against the motion of the vehicle to slow it down anways, so might as well collect that.

The solar panel on the roof would maybe add a little weight but no direct drag on the powertrain.

251348643_4480707212021884_5336338927675788322_n.jpg

PERPETTUM-MOBILE
The owner of this electric car Chevy Bolt did something that no electric car producer has done so far.
Something completely logical.
I always wondered why these cars weren't designed for the energy that wheels rotate to charge the battery of the car.
This man did it at home.
What do you see in the frame is a generator that produces current that charges batteries..
No longer need to stop to charge batteries at charging stations or charge them at home at night.
While the car runs, it charges the batteries.
It's that simple...

not trying to promote, just adding info.....;)

Sorry FBP, this isn't the amazing solution that it's being touted to be.

Dont some of the tesla cars have a solar roof??
I could be wrong

Not from the factory so far, only modified ones.

I had to chuckle at myself, Snopro, when you used the term 'boyish idea'. In my early teens, I had 'boyish' dreams of inventing perpetual motion or something close to it, but by the time I was in highschool, I knew better.
When I was 18, I met a young guy who swore that he had made a perpetual motion machine [amongst other fantastic things], but he never became rich and famous. ------ A few years later he got his name in the paper though. In the obituary section. It seemed like he hadn't really figured out what would work in life and what wouldn't.

I had to chuckle at myself, Snopro, when you used the term 'boyish idea'. In my early teens, I had 'boyish' dreams of inventing perpetual motion or something close to it, but by the time I was in highschool, I knew better.
When I was 18, I met a young guy who swore that he had made a perpetual motion machine [amongst other fantastic things], but he never became rich and famous. ------ A few years later he got his name in the paper though. In the obituary section. It seemed like he hadn't really figured out what would work in life and what wouldn't.

Yikes!

A solar panel on the roof of a car probably wouldn't run the heater motor. An intuitive statement not backed up with facts. I don't care enough to research it.

I'm working on a tiny nuclear reactor for my next build.

A solar panel on the roof of a car probably wouldn't run the heater motor. An intuitive statement not backed up with facts. I don't care enough to research it.

I'm working on a tiny nuclear reactor for my next build.

I believe you're correct, Bob.

According to the below articles, a solar roof on a Prius will give ~2 miles of extra range per day, and a solar roof on a Cybertruck will give ~15 miles of range per day. Imagine living somewhere where you park in a parking garage for work, that goes down to almost nothing. Not to mention that you need to leave your vehicle in full sun for the solar panel to have an impact, which then means degradation and fading of plastics and upholstery, tires, etc.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/19/tesla-model-3-solar-roof-lightyear/
https://electrek.co/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-solar-roof-option-add-range/

Latest posts

Back