When Is It Time to Scrap It?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I saw this truck at Home Depot yesterday. The bed is so bad there is strapping from the roof to the bed. The rot is incredible and the right side rear spring perch is busted. I know some states would even let that stay on the road. CT obviously is OK with it. Jim

Attachments

• T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 46
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 46
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 45
Dodges are notorious for this. My son has had 3 Rams, bought them all new. Less then 10 years on each one and Dodge offers no assistance. It's not right....

I saw this truck at Home Depot yesterday. The bed is so bad there is strapping from the roof to the bed. The rot is incredible and the right side rear spring perch is busted. I know some states would even let that stay on the road. CT obviously is OK with it. Jim

In my province, that truck is not road legal. In most states it probably isn't either.

Dodges are notorious for this. My son has had 3 Rams, bought them all new. Less then 10 years on each one and Dodge offers no assistance. It's not right....

Yep, I've had a few friends buy Mopar vehicles because they're cheaper than the competition. Then they find out that they're cheaper than the competition in many other ways too...

No way you would see this on the roads here. Most obvious problem would be sharp edges cutting up pedestrians or cyclists.... :eek:

I wish I had pictures of some of the vehicles we saw down in Brazil. Like one of those mini-pickups, I think it was called the Ford Pampa down there, where the frame was so broken down the whole thing sagged very noticeably in the middle. Or the old Willys that had a Yanmar diesel out of a micro-tractor as the power plant, chugging along on a back road. Or some car with the wheels slanting way out at the bottom.

Would ya listen to this.... if all the stuff got crushed or junked where would we be? Ya'll all can't be going green on me are ya?

My first thought was like Burger's, ya, good donor, but I bought a Ranger that was really beat up on every square foot of tin. I thought, 'I'm going to throw the tin away so who cares, right'. Well, I learned that if a guy cares so little about his truck that the outside gets beat to smithereens, then you can be assured that he shows the same amount of love for the internals. That pictured truck may not be a well maintained, fully functioning powertrained vehicle.

Florida use to have the safety inspections, then it was discovered/realized that very few accidents were caused by such vehicles. So they switched to "emmission inspections".

Then it was discovered that very few vehicles were failing emissions inspections. (who would drive a smoker into the station anyway??)

So now no inspections at all. Also now, I see similar vehicles...mostly salt damage from boat ramps, but nothing like that where it is strapped to hold it together.

There was a friend of mine that drove around in a (mopar) Dodge Dart where the car had a broken frame and was tilted to one side, the leaf spring was sticking up through the trunk.

One trip thru saltwater will destroy the sheet metal and all wiring. Doesn't necessarily mean the inside parts are bad. I imagine the salted roads can do the same up in snow areas. But my comment was more on the idea of scrapping or crushing. If everything got crushed when somebody thought the body was rusted out, then alot of us would not be able to enjoy this hobby. Down here, when they crush stuff, it's loaded on boats to china. If we see it again, it'll be cheap inferior metal products like we see in ebay and discount part houses.
I understand the idea of thinking that poor maintenance on body parts would lead you to believe there was poor maintenance to the over all vehicle, but it's not necessarily so. You've seen commercials showing brand new cars and trucks driving thru the surf on beaches...2 weeks later, those vehicles will have red flakes and ruined electronics.
A few friends and I used to spend spring breaks camping at a place called Turtle Mound, south of New Smyrna Beach. One of the guys left his brand new 1968 442 sitting on the beach when we all jumped in the buggies to ride up to Daytona to party one night. When we got back to camp, the tide had made it in there was a 1968 442 floating up on each incoming wave. The car would rise on each wave and at the top of the rise, the horn would honk and the lights would flash as the salt water had encroached already into the wiring harness and shorted everything out. A really eerie sight. Along with a huge recovery bill from a tow truck that vehicle was ruined. Some of the internals if not accessible to water would have been ok but the rest was trashed.

Latest posts

Back