Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tractors

Tractors Yes, we love old tractors too... let's see 'um!

Old 02-28-2021, 12:59 PM
Builder Junky!

Thanks guys.
There's a lot of welding rod in there, but some little weird shaped iron patches too. I'd be just hanging up the stinger sometimes and I'd hear that dreaded 'ping' or 'klink'. I peened the cooling weld beads a lot and that seemed to help, but it was like the carbon and the iron in the old cast-iron, separated over so many heat cycles, so I came onto pockets of straight carbon which burnt up and caused holes in the thin walls.
28, we have to have heat in our shops, so I've had an old house furnace in there for 36 years. A person could work in the shop if it was 40*F to 55*F, but it wouldn't be fun. My shop might sit at +20*F to -20*F for months if I didn't have heat. I keep it at about +60*F. I want it to be fun in there.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:58 PM
Builder Junky!

A few little things today.
I painted the flywheel dustpan. The holes that I made for the bellhousing hold-down feet are now tapped out to 1/2" coarse thread. While I was doing this and cursing the steering shaft for being in the road of the tap handles every turn, I got thinking maybe the steering shaft is going to be in the road of the oil pump when I get the motor in there. I measured the old donor motor and tried to eyeball where the oil pump will jut out the side of the motor at in relation to the steering shaft. It's going to be close. I tried to take a u-joint off the tractor but couldn't, so I went out to a shed and brought in an old wrecked steering shaft and wheel and learned on it how to take the U-joint off.
This bellhousing is a couple of inches back from the stock motor bellhousing position, so the clutch actuating rod is quite a bit too long. I started to take it out of the tractor so I could shorten it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2679.jpg (82.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:42 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

This sound like building custom motor cycles. The saying used to be "welcome to the world of it won't fit". Keep at it. You'll find a way.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:26 PM
Builder Junky!

Ya, Kenny, isn't hotrodding fun?
Old 03-06-2021, 11:01 PM
Builder Junky!

I went to visit my motor today. I took some little things and a jug of oil with me. We poured in the oil and started the motor up. It sounded retarded and the advance slot was all used up so we had to move all of the sparkplug wires around one notch and reset the timing again. It sounds good now.
I've been trying to shorten the clutch activating rod with very little success. In the frustration breaks from trying to unscrew the clevis off the end of the rod, I took the clutch pedal off, built up the pedal pivot shaft and primed and painted the clutch pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0286.jpg (126.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0287.jpg (130.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0288.jpg (51.6 KB, 14 views)
Old Today, 06:58 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Getting close MM, looks like you'll be putting it back together soon? I'm enjoying this build, so thanks for posting your updates.