Old Tractor, Twin City.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a real good snake picture.
Unlike that snake, my snake usually doesn't get all tangled up in his own 'situations'; it's his victims that you see tied in knots. He seems to view 'reality' from a different angle than I do.

This is one of the reason's that I don't have many "Friends."
It takes someone getting close to use a knife on you.
At least the tractor found a good home......
Torchie

I took the old Twin City to our 'Plowday' and plowed for quite a while. Parts of the tractor are now 100 years old, and it performed nicely. Hopefully, I will find a few pictures that someone else took of the tractor plowing.
Anyhow, there were a few little thing that I wanted to tweak so I backed it into the shop. The gasoline shutoff petcock kept leaking so I made new packing for it and that fixed it. The belt pulley had come loose a couple of years ago so I had taken it off. Well, now I've put it back on again.

Attachments

• IMG_3155.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 19
On this tractor the waterpump shaft also drives the magneto. The water pump has tightening nuts on either side of it to squash up some packing, [a nineteen twenties seal]. Well, the packing that I finally found didn't last very long and I had tightened the nut up to the limit. The magneto is close enough that the drive hub for it won't let the waterpump adjusting nut slide away from the pump housing. I didn't want to take the mag off and then have to time it and align it again so I bored a hole in the big nut and squirted it full of silicone. I'll let it dry and then screw the nut on some more and squash the silicone seal up against the pump. OH, I forgot to say that I smeared Vaseline on the shaft first.

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 16
Old tractors and the tech in them is so fascinating. The simplicity and ingenuity is awesome. These fancy tech filled cars of today wont be around it 50 years let alone 100!! Thanks for sharing

I finally got back to the Twin City. The silicone has solidified so I tapped out the silicone induction hole for a 5/16" fine thread plug and cut off a bolt to make the plug. There's a screwdriver slot in the plug so I can take it out later if I need to put in more silicone. So far the water is not leaking out after I refilled the tractor.
The old spinner on the steering wheel was worn out and the outside handle kept coming off over the top of the centre hold down pin. The end of the pin had been mushroomed on the end and that held the handle on the steering wheel. Well, the mushroom had worn small and the hole down through the handle had worn big. The spinner handle only came off when you really needed it to stay on there. [like when you're backing down off the trailer, trying to keep those steel wheels all on the old planks that you've put down, or when you're turning at the end of the plow furrow, steering with one hand and tripping the plow out with the other, and there's a barbed wire fence really close.] Anyhow, I just heated the centre pin up really hot then slipped the handle on there and re-mushroomed the hold down end of the pin.
A guy has to have a place to tie the plow trip-rope to, right? Well here is mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3158.jpg
    IMG_3158.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back