1948 Thriftmaster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test fit with the visor and my gauges finally arrived!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200806_114145.jpg
    thumbnail_20200806_114145.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 46
  • thumbnail_20200805_153724.jpg
    thumbnail_20200805_153724.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 39
fine work!

why is the speedo clocked? or are the mounting rings not attached yet?
there is trimming in your future, I used con2rs that had the same mounting pattern and had to trim the lower holes (of the 6, 4 remained) off and the inside gauge lower left back, to where I couldnt get a nut on it but 3 nuts held it fine.

Thanks everyone - I know that visor is WAY too shiney. I'm hoping to fake some patina on to it with the leather brown that I painted the box strips with. I'm not really into "faking it", but in this case I'm going to have to so something.
JD - yeah, the gauges are just sitting in the rings right now. Like you pointed out, the rings mount from behind and then the gauges go in from the front. Don't worry, my OCD tendencies wouldn't allow either gauge to be off level! LOL.

Thanks everyone - I know that visor is WAY too shiney. I'm hoping to fake some patina on to it with the leather brown that I painted the box strips with. I'm not really into "faking it", but in this case I'm going to have to so something.
JD - yeah, the gauges are just sitting in the rings right now. Like you pointed out, the rings mount from behind and then the gauges go in from the front. Don't worry, my OCD tendencies wouldn't allow either gauge to be off level! LOL.
Noooo! I think the contrast is great. The color matches the truck, and it helps tell the long life story of the truck. Like it started that way, but then the visor went out of fashion, and now its back. That kind of BSl Anyway, I like it the way it is. A lot. [cl

Thanks Skip! I appreciate that angle, and it's in keeping with some of the emblems I'd bought for it, they are new and I liked the contrast they bring as well.

Gauges are wired up and sitting in the holes. Unfortunately, there is a little bit of interference between the quad gauge and the wiper motor - hopefully I can make a minor adjustment and get them to work together. I spent too much time getting that wiper motor in the correct spot...I hate to think I have to rework it! It was just too hot and steamy yesterday so I had to leave it for another day.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200814_151200.jpg
    thumbnail_20200814_151200.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_20200814_153349.jpg
    thumbnail_20200814_153349.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 11
been there! i used con2r gauges on a gmc and they are custom made to fit without adapters. the inboard one was like TWO INCHES too deep and hit the wiper motor. I called con2r and said they were too deep and they said and I quote " no they arent". :mad:

luckily they had a super deep 3d printed cap on the back, I was able to take it off and cut it down. had some kind of fiberglass in it, the dust made me itchy for a few weeks.

Attachments

• 56920609190__255B7B58-1D26-4374-9659-61FD1FDC57C7.jpg
    56920609190__255B7B58-1D26-4374-9659-61FD1FDC57C7.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 56920611863__48D699D3-DBF2-417D-BF66-831ED8B3F096.jpg
    56920611863__48D699D3-DBF2-417D-BF66-831ED8B3F096.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 16
Looking great.😎
I’m with skip on the visor. Let it shine.
If you put new tires and wheels on it would you scuff them up to match the rest of the truck? I don’t think so.
A little bling never hurt anything.
JMHO
Torchie

Yeah right - I haven't been on the plus side of 100 MPH in a long time! That and this thing is about as aerodynamic as a sheet of plywood.

As a pilot friend of mine used to say. “ it about as aerodynamic as a free falling safe.”😳
You get much over 60 and you might lose that visor as well. Just ask me how I know.🙀
Torchie

Ok Torchie - now we HAVE to know......let's hear the story of the visor!

There's always a story.:p
Think of it this way, Bill.
When these visors were popular what was the average driving speed? If you were going 55 you were hauling.:eek:
Helped a friend test drive a 53 Chevy car with a visor. Nothing too hot. It just had a stock SBC transplant.
All was well at first. Then around 60? MPH we start to feel a vibration. "Car needs an alignment" Says he. "I don't know" says me.
"Lets got faster and see if it goes away." says he. "I'm starting to hear it now and its not coming from the bottom of the car but the top." Say's me.
Just as those words left my lips so did the Visor leave the car. Well... At least the drivers side tried too.:eek:
Lucky it didn't come all the way off and go into the traffic behind us.:eek:
NOW....
Having said that I have also seen many people cruising at Highway speeds with Visors with no apparent problems. (Other then making it a bit harder to see stop lights when you are close to them.) But I always think of that ride when I see them.
I suspect that it may have been installed incorrectly and I have no doubt that yours will be good.:D [cl :cool:
Torchie

Latest posts

Back