Power or standard?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtbone

So I'm well under way with my slammed model A sedan project.
I'm going to use a mustang II front end.
The the car will be void of hood, fenders and running boards.
The engine is a 454 with 700R4.
Not sure on front wheel/tire diameter at this point.
The question is power rack or standard steering????

So I'm well under way with my slammed model A sedan project.
I'm going to use a mustang II front end.
The the car will be void of hood, fenders and running boards.
The engine is a 454 with 700R4.
Not sure on front wheel/tire diameter at this point.
The question is power rack or standard steering????

If you run big wide tires, power steering might make a difference. However it's a Model A and due to space constraints and light weight, most people run manual. Not having a power steering pump and lines will also look much better on a fenderless and hoodless car.

If you run big wide tires, power steering might make a difference. However it's a Model A and due to space constraints and light weight, most people run manual. Not having a power steering pump and lines will also look much better on a fenderless and hoodless car.

Probably narrow tall tires?

I have a unisteer manual rack on my model A. I have a stripped block with heads in it for mockup, but I can steer it with one finger sitting still. I think I have 205r15 tires on the front.

I ran an industrial 534 Ford big block in my Model A with manual steering. It outweighs that big block Chevy by a little bit. Granite I was using a model a front end. I would look into power. The only leverage you're really going to have is the steering wheel size. The lines are short and easy to run. Just my two cents

I had to switch my Nova to manual because the power unit made it too twitchy. If you sneezed... it would change lanes. Had several friends that did the same. Went with manual on my ratty '41 Ford truck... steered like a slot car!

BoB

I do agree with you on that a little bit Tripper. When I got my Chevy done with the Mustang II power rack it definitely took a little bit getting used to, the steering ratio is really quick and with that power on there it makes it move very easily

Some of the time both my 33 and 37 could use power steering (parking lots mainly) but the rest of the time manual is just fine.
As long as you get a standard ratio, manual rack (20:1) and not the quick ratio, manual rack (15:1) you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I ran an industrial 534 Ford big block in my Model A with manual steering. It outweighs that big block Chevy by a little bit. Granite I was using a model a front end. I would look into power. The only leverage you're really going to have is the steering wheel size. The lines are short and easy to run. Just my two cents

I had to switch my Nova to manual because the power unit made it too twitchy. If you sneezed... it would change lanes. Had several friends that did the same. Went with manual on my ratty '41 Ford truck... steered like a slot car!

BoB

The 72 V8 Jag I had was Jaguar rack and pinion with a Saginaw p/s pump on the SBC. It had really twitchy steering. I forget where I got the information but the fix was to reduce the size of the orifice in the flow valve on the back of the pump. As I understood it, it was a volume thing not a pressure thing. Anyway, I reduced it a lot and it really slowed down the steering without affecting the power assist.

Attachments

• 7715060144_eb68f65f30_c.jpg
    7715060144_eb68f65f30_c.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 4
Yes u r right. You have to reduce the pressure from the gm pump to the ford racks. It will push the seals out over time and make them drive like poo

I really think you don't need a power rack. I've built a couple roadsters with big block power and Vega cross steering with only a 12" steering wheel, no problem in parking lot situations. With the MII front end and a manual rack, it should steer even easier. Odd comparison - buddy had a Pinto with a 460/C6 stuffed in it :eek: and manual rack (basically the same front end as MII) - very easy to steer.

Please describe parts needed to reduce flow rate, Thank you.

A friend had a power unit on his '57 Chev truck that had an adjustable control valve... even all the way down it was still too much so he finally just took it off. I see no need to go there but that's your choice.

BoB

Attachments

• 57chevtruck.jpg
    57chevtruck.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 4
Please describe parts needed to reduce flow rate, Thank you.

I'll see if I can dig up the link for you. It is just a piece that screws into the pump where the pressure line comes out of. You undo the stock one that comes with the pump and you put the new one in it. You can get them from Speedway or Summit I believe. I see what you guys are saying about power steering on the model A. It does not weigh much but if you're using a steering box you have to leverage of the arms to help turn. With the Mustang to all you have is the steering wheel in your hand it's a Straight Shaft down to the rack. The way I look at it and I could be wrong is you would have less leverage on that style system than you would on say one of the cars I build that has a 8 inch long pitman arm on it. That's just the way I'm looking at it your building the car obviously it's your choice you were looking for opinions. You aren't going to spend much more between the power steering rack and then on power steering rack and the line kit is only like 65 bucks if you have the pump and everything already I'd put it on it

Latest posts

Back