Steering issue Maybe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

I now have 835 miles on the Essex almost trouble free! One item that has me a little concerned is the right hand tie rod that gives me the cross steer. When I turn the wheel when the car is stationary all the tie rods rock forward to back resulting in a clunk. I re greased all the joint and it got better, I have leaned out the window while driving an it doesn't seem to do it then. Do you see this as a problem?

Attached is a video of what's going on.

https://youtu.be/bJOkpK3rW9A

I don't see a problem, though the clunk would annoy me. :mad:

Obviously, this setup is going to wear the end quicker. You may want to consider a steering arm swap... put both ends on the arm, like this Speedway piece...

UP54864_R_1cee4046.JPG

Thanks Doc and OI, I had thought of that but my spindles are like these ones in the pic. Does any one make an arm for them? I haven't had any luck in my searchs

I haven't found anything for your spindles, either.

I think it was bobw who shared the engineering term, FFF. (Field Fabricate to Fit.) [;)

You'll need to get hold of Speedway and find out what the dimensions are for center to center on what I've marked with the orange lines.
Someone on here can probably tell ya tho. Then measure your spindles to see if they will fit.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Steering arms.jpg
    Steering arms.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 99
You'll need to get hold of Speedway and find out what the dimensions are for center to center on what I've marked with the orange lines.
Someone on here can probably tell ya tho. Then measure your spindles to see if they will fit.

attachment.php

The bolt spacing is right, 3 3/8" I'm worried the depth of the u will not be deep enough to go around the large boss where the current steering arm bolts to the spindle.

The bolt spacing is right, 3 3/8" I'm worried the depth of the u will not be deep enough to go around the large boss where the current steering arm bolts to the spindle.

Cut it off. It won't hurt a thing and that's what you are supposed to do. These steering arms are MADE to be used after the factory steering arms are cut off, be it on '37-'48 passenger car spindles or F-1 units like yours. Trim the clunky factory arm off, smooth it up nice and round and bolt these units on. Done!

Cut it off. It won't hurt a thing and that's what you are supposed to do. These steering arms are MADE to be used after the factory steering arms are cut off, be it on '37-'48 passenger car spindles or F-1 units like yours. Trim the clunky factory arm off, smooth it up nice and round and bolt these units on. Done!

Thanks for the info, I will order them and do the install over the the winter.

New arms Question

from what I am reading the aftermarket arm fit a 50;s F i spindle. For reference I have a couple F I axles squirl[ed away for future projects.
Tie rod problems like you described are usualy caused by not having the center lines correct, the tie rod can be bent and reshaped but the threaded portions should be on the same centerline , also when the arms are heated and bent the taper center lines should not be changed. I had that problem years ago when I used Olds spindles adapted to a ford tube axle.

New arms Question

from what I am reading the aftermarket arm fit a 50;s F i spindle. For reference I have a couple F I axles stached away for future projects.
Tie rod problems like you described are usualy caused by not having the center lines correct, the tie rod can be bent and reshaped but the threaded portions should be on the same centerline , also when the arms are heated and bent the taper center lines should not be changed. I had that problem years ago when I used Olds spindles adapted to a ford tube axle.

Latest posts

Back