Taking some time off helps

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

I went all week without working on my truck until today. Put my rebuilt starter on, replaced all the dry rotted fuel line, changed out the mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator with a holley and a gauge and took off the cool can, which I'll never put ice in. Everything went smooth as silk. I bumped up the fuel pressure to 6.5, the mr. Gasket was only putting out 3.5, and richened the carb a little and my w.o.t problems are gone. I have a small tranny leak somewhere but I'll get to that in time, along with the brakes. Leaving it alone and relaxing after work all week made things go alot better. Im not letting things get to me anymore.

Good to hear! I take weeks off from mine sometimes, not always by choice, and when I do accomplish something, the feeling is indescribable.
Time away gives you time to think and plan and sometimes come up with a new way to go about doing things.

All i plan on doing tomorrow is valve cover gasket change and try to find the tranny leak. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the dipstick tube or corner of the pan. This is how overworked i am, i was checking the dipstick to see how much tranny fluid I've lost and the fluid was brown. Everytime i checked it, the level was different. Well, i know where the engine oil level is with the engine running. Thank god nobody was around.

I forgot which tranny you have, but some 350 turbos suffer from a poor designed seal in the shifter shaft which won't leak much as long as you're driving it, but if it sits a day or two and the converter drains back into the trans it will leak out at the shifter seal. The one that was in my Lincoln did that, would lose a quart or two every time I left it sitting a week or longer. PIA to change with it in a vehicle, too. Probably why my trans died, drove it too much with fluid low before I figured it out.

I managed to get in about an hour on mine yesterday. Got the grills out and mounted my radiator.[cl If I could get some free time, I could make some progress.:rolleyes: Not gonna happen with the 4 year old GS though....

Im only leaking when its running, but it stopped today. Drove 50 miles to look at a potential trade and didnt lose a drop.

I forgot which tranny you have, but some 350 turbos suffer from a poor designed seal in the shifter shaft which won't leak much as long as you're driving it, but if it sits a day or two and the converter drains back into the trans it will leak out at the shifter seal. The one that was in my Lincoln did that, would lose a quart or two every time I left it sitting a week or longer. PIA to change with it in a vehicle, too. Probably why my trans died, drove it too much with fluid low before I figured it out.

I managed to get in about an hour on mine yesterday. Got the grills out and mounted my radiator.[cl If I could get some free time, I could make some progress.:rolleyes: Not gonna happen with the 4 year old GS though....

I bought a special tool from Snap-on 30 years ago to change that seal. Never used it.

Latest posts

Back