Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another couple of hours to get nothing done.:rolleyes:
Went back and worked on my TV cable adapter bracket today. Still not happy with it. It has to pull the TV cable the same amount as the throttle cable pulls, and at the same time. First attempt didn't have enough travel on either, so I moved the holes farther apart, yet still the same distance from the carb throttle shaft. Better, seems to have proper travel now, at WOT both are pulled the same. The TV cable end wants to hit the carb linkage and keep it from opening fully, so a little more tweaking is necessary. I lost the little clip that goes on the end to keep the pin in the bracket, so I have to find one of those.:rolleyes:

All this to save about $150.:eek: I could just buy the Lokar cable kit and a Sonnax carb bracket, but where's the fun in that? Plus, I was never able to find the little end that connects the cable to the Sonnax bracket, it's a Chevy part, seems nobody carries it anymore.

This time consuming stuff is keeping me off the road longer than I want.:(

Pic of TV bracket. Upper cable {throttle} is not mounted yet.
Found some of the clips like I need for the linkage online, about $8 for 50.:eek: Won't ever need 50 of them! Might just eBay about 40 of them and get my money back...

DSCF0878 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Last warm weekend for a while,and I made the best of it! Dived in, got the trans mount installed and bolted down, took driveshaft out so I can cut and lengthen it, it's about 4" too short now, got to change the Chevy yoke to a Ford one anyway. Got the TV cable adapter bracket and the throttle cable bracket made and installed, hope my math is right, it should work fine if it is. Also started on some of the wiring, using a small Ford permanent magnet starter that has the solenoid on top like a Chevy, ran the battery cable and solenoid wires ran forward, up and over to the fender, then back to the starter relay. I have to lengthen one of the alternator wires, running a GM alternator, then I can cover those wires with loom. Also made up a new ground and hot battery lead, routed those along the fender also. Going to mirror the wiring on the other side with the coil mounted on the ds fender, then over to the distributor, AC wire will go in the same loom when time comes for it, as well as the temp and oil pressure gauges so there will only be two looms going to the motor, one from each side.
I eyeballed my shift linkage, going to build a bellcrank to orient travel the correct way, may start on that next time. Slow process, but I'm getting closer to being able to fire it off after I buy a few more pieces.

DSCF0882 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF0880 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF0881 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Good to see you making some progress Bama.[cl
It is supposed to turn cold hear on Tuesday(High in the 20's.:eek:) and I am trying to psych myself up to go out into a cold shop and pull out more screws.:p
[P [P [P
Torchie

Progress report!

Yes we have a progress report! Only been what, a month and a half? :D
Was finally warm enough to do something today. I got my steel distributor gear in this week, so I put it on the distributor and dropped it down in the block.

That's it, all the progress I made today! Better than nothing, right?
Seriously, everything else I need to do, I have to order or buy parts for, and right now until the weather breaks, it's not happening. Always slow in the winter for me, and this year has been brutal. Stuff will be getting ordered soon, I hope.

Actually spent half the day fixing water lines. Fixed one at my Pa in laws house, then came home to find I had a leak under ground that I had to dig up and fix. Pipe didn't freeze, just had a hole come in it. 45 year old PVC, I may end up having to replace the whole run if it starts having holes come in it.

Stock 74 Ford points distributor for now Dr C. I may put a Pertronix in it at a later date. $28 for a steel gear off of eBay, easy way to get it going cheap for now.

Been a slow winter with no progress to speak of. After grass cutting yesterday, I did manage to get in a couple of hours on the old girl. Got the right side downpipe installed from the manifold. It was the simple one, straight down. I followed Dr C's lead and I used the band clamp to join it to the already in place pipe, no way I could have welded it with it on the car, and I'm a better grinder than welder anymore, not enough practice! Installed the manifold with new bolts after I had to chase the threads, dang dirt daubers, or some call them mud wasps, had filled every bolt hole with dirt last summer. The hole in the top of the manifold is where the EGR tube was at on the Explorer, got to see if I can find a plug or a cap to fit the fitting. Painted the manifold again as well as the downpipe with high heat aluminum paint, will probably burn off, but looks good now and keeps the rust at bay for a while longer. Need to pick up two 45 degree bends to do the other side with. Also ordered a trans cooler off of eBay, should be here this week.
DSCF0985 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF0984 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

CUT THE GRASS....:eek: We are still shoveling snow here.....:eek:
Good progress Bama.
Looking forward to seeing your post about driving it. .:)
[P [P [P
Torchie

I hope the clamp works and doesn't leak. (You'll likely know before we do. We're a year or two away from "fire in the hole.")

Just a thought... I've plugged a few holes like your EGR boss. What I've found, is nothing fits the "one-off" thread and size but the original fitting. If you find that issue, find a tube, cut it short to the "nut", fill or cap the nut and screw your "plug" into the boss.

Latest posts

Back