Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So nothing to post as of lately. Needed to take a break for a couple of days and relax a bit. I'll be right back at it in the morning. Hoping to finish up the graft then. Once the graft is done, planning on pulling the front door and sliding the cowl back. We'll see how she goes.

I know that I said we were getting back to work on her car a week or so ago but some things came up. Found out that my garage power was being fed off of the same curcuit as my ac and upon further inspection of the garage wiring, it all needed to be redone properly. Putting in a 100amp panel, (1) 240V 30A circuit for a compressor, (2) 240V 30A circuits for welders, (1) 240V 15A for a plasma, a 120V 30A circuit for a chop saw, and 4 more 120V circuits. Having to tear off the top 4' of drywall off the walls to do it properly unfortunately they nailed most of it up so the plan is to use corrugated steel instead of drywall. So yeah, that's what I've been up to lately.

So, still nothing to report on her car. In other news, the shop wiring is finished. I now have 3 designated welding recepticles, a designated circuit for the chop saw, and a new to me 60 gallon air compressor. Still need to find the corrugated steel for the walls and then I can put everything back to where the garage is useable again. Hopefully that happens soon because I'm tired of the war zone in my garage.

Been chuggin along on the shop update. Found some corrugated tin today so I was finally able to move my tool box back where it goes. Almost ready to get to work again and I've got a lead on some more tin to finish it up. May even have enough to cover the other two walls if I can get it for te right price. Anyhow, here's how it's going to look when it's all said and done.

Attachments

• IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 68
So guys, I have not updated anything on the coupe lately as I’ve been busy with everything else. This weekend we went down to billings, mt for a show and there we met a few rat rodders. While we were there the ol’ lady kept bugging me about her car so it looks like I need to get back at it. Cruising through facebook this evening and I find a bit of a gem and messaged the gal about it. She doesn’t know anything about the engine aside from it’s a lincoln v8 and it’s been in their barn since before they moved in. All I know about it is it’s a y-block, looks complete, and they’re not too common to see. But for 100 bucks, it might be a good deal if it’s not seized up.

Attachments

• CE3BBA75-7452-47E4-821A-C7DF7CAC9290.jpg
    CE3BBA75-7452-47E4-821A-C7DF7CAC9290.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 155A4B81-4D07-4E9D-AF0E-FE4DB929B9E3.jpg
    155A4B81-4D07-4E9D-AF0E-FE4DB929B9E3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 1CD3F602-B322-4E66-81D7-75D2C2694AC2.jpg
    1CD3F602-B322-4E66-81D7-75D2C2694AC2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 47
  • D9829258-C14E-45C8-98D1-9B64F1B674FE.jpg
    D9829258-C14E-45C8-98D1-9B64F1B674FE.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 15AD2B99-4CB8-409C-BC1A-445C0250F88B.jpg
    15AD2B99-4CB8-409C-BC1A-445C0250F88B.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 51
pics

can we get some more side pics[P[P[P

l would like to see the car from the side all in one shot for l kinda have a plan to mix an' match several different body's into a rod and yores gives me inspiration.

Later:cool:

me X 2

2 of mine was 4 doors also, l have the build threads on here, the 193O mopar and the 194Oish street legal race car,

the one l am trying to envision is part coupe and part roadster for a future build.

thanks

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Well, I pulled the trigger and picked up the engine and tranny. It turns a little by hand but I didn’t pull the plugs or the tranny so don’t know it’s condition yet. It’s all there from teapot carb to oil pan minus the oil filter and air cleaner but it’s been in a barn forever and a day so hopefully she won’t need a major overhaul. I’ll be able to open her up once I get my 390 back together and in the 33. Verified the casting numbers on the block and its EAB so the block is at least a 52-54 Lincoln 317 and not a ford truck, 341, or 368 engine. On the way back theough great falls, mt I came across an ford 8” with 3.00 gears so the entire deive train for her coupe is all together as long as the engine and trans works out.

You do indeed have a Lincoln Y-block. I have a 317 too. Mine is missing a few parts and they are hard to find. An FE belhousing kinda fits on the back but the bolt holes are slightly too far apart so you can get one bolt in and hammer the second one but not the third. I have heard you can machine the FE belhousing holes a little wider and use it that way, --- if your Lincoln transmission doesn't work. If you use the FE bell you will need a clocking aftermarket FE starter because the electro-magnet bump on the ordinary FE starter will hit the block. Here's a picture of mine and of me trying to put an FE bell on that Y-block. I ended up putting the truck belhousing for a Lincoln Y-block on and a New Process 435.

Good luck, with that cool motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 29
You do indeed have a Lincoln Y-block. I have a 317 too. Mine is missing a few parts and they are hard to find. An FE belhousing kinda fits on the back but the bolt holes are slightly too far apart so you can get one bolt in and hammer the second one but not the third. I have heard you can machine the FE belhousing holes a little wider and use it that way, --- if your Lincoln transmission doesn't work. If you use the FE bell you will need a clocking aftermarket FE starter because the electro-magnet bump on the ordinary FE starter will hit the block. Here's a picture of mine and of me trying to put an FE bell on that Y-block. I ended up putting the truck belhousing for a Lincoln Y-block on and a New Process 435.

Good luck, with that cool motor.

Thanks for letting me know Mac. I’ve got an FE c-6 thats a runner and a clockable mini starter sitting on the shelf. Im really hoping this engine is good because the last engine I took a chance on was junk and is now sitting in the bed of the truck I pulled my 390 out of.

So, I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news. The good news is I got the heads off the lincoln, transmission removed, and the engine will turn...kinda. Theres rust build up in all but 3 cylinders. I will have to pull it apart further to measure everything and see what pistons are in it. So far I’m not finding much for parts on these things, let alone oversized pistons. If it is standard still then I should be able to have the block sleeved and reuse the pistons but we’ll have to see when I get it tore down more.

Latest posts

Back