1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

attachment.php
Did you ask your favorite neighbour's permission? ;)

No, but I did give him my favorite one finger salute [ddd

attachment.php

Got the engine mounts mostly sorted out, final welding needed. I used some Energy Suspension poly bushings for C10 Chev leaf springs that I had on hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 125
attachment.php
attachment.php

Got the pedal/booster/master assembly tacked in place - as usual, everything wants to live in the same tight space, needs to clear the tranny linkage, exhaust, and fit into the center frame structure. This allows me to finish that structure up and make the tranny mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 98
Your design and build style is so logical and straightforward I'm thinking you are a savant when it comes to car building. But when it comes to body modifications you are an artist as well as a master craftsman. No big head now..

No big head now..

I find that a swollen ego is self correcting - if I get the notion that I'm halfway smart, it's usually right before I step in pile of poo.....:(

Look at all that wood in the floor! Are you planning to replace that or just leave it as-is?

Yeah, Packard was one of the last ones to hang onto the wood. It's all got to go to be replaced with steel tube - door frames, roof and trunk lid also full of wood.

Yeah, Packard was one of the last ones to hang onto the wood. It's all got to go to be replaced with steel tube - door frames, roof and trunk lid also full of wood.

Our 36 Diamond T was also FULL of wood (oak). All completely rotten. A-pillars, B-pillars, floor framing and floors, etc. At least the doors only had one small piece of wood in them (skin supports). What is weird is- we got a 37, same body style, for a parts truck and it had MINIMAL wood in it. We wished we had started with the 37, but we were well into the build on the 36. Too far to turn back unfortunately!

1936 -37 seems to be the cutoff date for a lot of companies to get away from using wood in their bodies.
In 35 Chevrolet boosted about their "All new steel turret top." And within a couple of years more the industry followed suit.
Looking great ZZ.
Torchie

I'm not eager to do another replacing the wood car :(
Chevy carried out the wood deal until going to all metal in mid 36

I'm not eager to do another replacing the wood car :(
Chevy carried out the wood deal until going to all metal in mid 36

Us either! That was a HUGE ordeal do put steel structure in a wood-framed cab! Never again!!!

Took out the front half of the floor to get access to the center members and completed the pass side front legs. The two sides are not symmetrical but unavoidable with the pedal/ booster assy in the way. The whole crossmember assembly was previously just tacked together, now I've welded up everything accessible from above, next step is to make the tranny mount and a couple more cross members in the center of the frame.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

After I get the tranny mount done, it's time to take the wood out of the floor and build a new steel substructure and the last 6 body mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 131
Once again, looking great ZZ. No big deal being "asymmetrical", I had to do the same - I just told my buddies that it was stronger that way, and set up for left turns! Lol.

Thanks for taking the time to post such great and detailed pictures.

Finished building the tranny mount and braced up the body with a support structure before removing the old wood subrails. Deforestation has begun!! The rockers were bolted to the wood subrails and after cutting just a couple spot welds, they came right off. They are also pretty rotten and will need a lot of rehab before they go back on. New subfloor structure comes next.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0913.JPG