Header welding clamp

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ3100

I don't think I made this one up, but I can't remember where or if it came from. It works so well it's worth showing.

Leave one clamp loose and you can swivel the joint. Keep both clamps tight and they lock together with space to tack weld.

headersclampdetail2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a large worm drive clamp will hold a bundle. This is actually 2 clamps

headersclamp1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The clips are 18 ga. A v block, piece of angle iron, or even a sand bag can be used as back up. Hammer a piece of heavy wall tube or solid bar to create the radius.

Sometimes it's hard to get the clips and the clamps in place - too many moving parts. But once you do, the tubes stay put and lined up.

Hmmmm, that right there makes me not so weary of trying to make some headers.

At least to tack some up and have someone else TIG them.

I like it.
This is the third set of headers I have built. They turned out the best and were the easiest to do. Part of the reason for that is having more experience. Another factor is that these bends were actually round (they were Jegs Universal header kit). The previous sets were oval shaped and didn't line up when they were rotated. These were 16 ga instead of 18ga which also makes it easier to tack and weld.

But the clamps that kept everything in place when while tacking and still allowed the joint to rotate really made the process faster and easier.

You can always tack the 3 pieces to one of the clamps so they don't move around / fall out... TIG or just a spot welder will do it nicely

You can always tack the 3 pieces to one of the clamps so they don't move around / fall out... TIG or just a spot welder will do it nicely

I didn't think of that. I didn't show it but with them loose you can use 2 clamps when the bend is right next to the joint - it doesn't hold as well that way but it does work.

I have never built a drive shaft, but the seems like it would work well.

Latest posts

Back