Large diameter headlights?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

I am slowly trying to gets parts for another 1927 T build.I have always used speedways 7 inch sealed beam deitz lights.
Want to go with larger diameter lights this time for a change.
What year and make are most available used and what can I expect prices to be?
Just looking for ideas.
I saw a car with very big lights and liked it.:D
Thanks guys.

I found a pair of '26 Dodge Brothers headlights a while back. I think I stole them though for $20. 7.5" lenses in almost 10" cans. They look huge! I'm thinking they will look kind of fun on a longish open wheeled car that is a few projects down the line.

Prices on pieces like this are what someone will pay. A restorer may go big to get a good set. Me, not so much. :D

I"m always looking for headlights at swap meets,but they want 100 or 200 or more for rusted junk,I don"t know where to look for a good deal on lights.

I also have been collecting headlights at swapmeets. The '28/'29 Model A ones that I have are not stainless steel, were $50.00 without glass, and have the right curve to mount those Juliano's signal lights on top that look old but are new. The glass fronted signal lights are made for a '35/'36 Ford but they will fit on the older Model As. I don't know what diameter of glass the headlights have but bigger than now-a-days lights.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 13
Some of the largest new lights available are the 34 Ford commercial or 32 Ford from Vintique or Bob Drake. Considering the prices some guys are asking for gennie old lights, the new repops are not bad at around $300.00 a pair (Canadian) and can be had with signal bulbs already installed.
Some of the coolest, biggest lights I've seen at swap meets are early 30's Studebaker oval headlights, huge but not cheap.

Ebay has them now and then in vintage auto parts. 9" dia. is good. 10s and 11s are way better.:cool:
My pride and joy is a set of early '30's 11" LaSalles.
The holy grail of big lights are the 12" P100s from British cars.
Fun to fabricate your own originals. 3M silicone holds the lenses and bulbs in.

Some 9" Chevys on ebay right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PAI...UCK-/261839512682?hash=item3cf6d9e46a&vxp=mtr

Rex, I have just measured my '28/'29 Model A headlights and they are 7 3/4" ID of the trim ring, [what would be showing]. I'm quite sure the bare glass would measure 9" diameter.

Latest posts

Back