old crew cabs?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hi.
sorry for the numerous questions but getting close to my first grandaughter im thinkin maybe a 4 seater is in order.
did anyone make a old crew or quad cab truck? If not old old when did they start buildin em?
I like big ole trucks but not sure how to fit more than 2 people in a std cab????:confused:
thanks for any help. Rr

Questions-R-Us. :D

I have seen Crew Cabs by Ford in the '57 to 59 series, and all since then.

There is nothing stopping a fella from chopping off the back part of of a Suburban, or the like, and putting the back wall from a PU on it. Use whatever space is left for a short bed. Or stretch the frame as needed. I've see a few like this.

Back before king cabs, I was going to make a truck cab out of a 30 model A coupe that was already crunched in the back end. Then came this little thing in SE Asia, and we all went off to ...... Long story short, my "dear ol' Dad" needed beer money, and a few nice project starts went to new homes. Years later, Datsun invented the King Cab, and the hot rod world started stretching and shrinking things like crazy.

As someone said, If you can think of it, it can be built.

Go for it! Have fun. :D

BTW: If you can't get at least four people in a full size PU, you must hate each other.

Here's what u need.... It's a 3 door

:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 63
Custom ones have been built by coach builders for a long time. I've seen pictures of some 38-39 Ford COE 4 doors that the army used. Mid 50s ones are out there. I drove this one as a daily driver from about 2003-2008.

Have to dig through my pics here one day.... I saw a few years ago for sale (and I didn't buy it) a early 40s ford truck that some one grafted 2 cabs and made a crew cab. It was pretty sweet. I wanted it, but no room to store it.

Have to dig through my pics here one day.... I saw a few years ago for sale (and I didn't buy it) a early 40s ford truck that some one grafted 2 cabs and made a crew cab. It was pretty sweet. I wanted it, but no room to store it.

Yeah, I've seen a few nicely done grafted cabs before too. Then there's always a panel wagon or remember those things they called station wagons? ;)

Utility companies and the railroads use those crew cabs a lot, but I bet most were on the 1 ton and larger frames and probably had service bodies of some kind on them. Since most of them were the same cab as their 1/2 and 3/4 ton brethren with different front fenders for the larger tires, it should be easy to swap front ends. Might look around some old truck junkyards and private fleet yards like power and telephone companies and find one.

Or just find two decent cabs and cut and fit until it looks right.:D

Now why did you have to bring this up? Now I am thinking about using cab 2 for something like this instead of another project. I already trimmed the bed down once! No, Skip, no. Do not succumb to pier pressure... Be strong.

I do like the idea, though. :D

the cab and front are nice, but why did they ruin it with the Ranger pickup box? YUCK!!!

now why did you have to bring this up? Now i am thinking about using cab 2 for something like this instead of another project. I already trimmed the bed down once! No, skip, no. Do not succumb to pier pressure... Be strong.

I do like the idea, though. :d

do it do it do it:d

What year n model is that corpo? Id rather use a body like in corpos pic cause im gunshy of getting to big of a build after the last 4 year build that failed.
id take that 3 door and slam the body...cut n redo rear frame and tub the rear or rum a set of those military tires like in my last build.:D

I believe its a 54.. kenny nailed it though.. forestry service truck..

Latest posts

Back