Cyclops

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
Alrighty then...been trying to start this build thread for a while but have been more than annoyed lately by the changes done at photobucket. I've been unable to post pix for most of the last month. That figured out, so on with the show. It'll take me a while to catch up but that will happen.
I've been planning this for a while, but Todd's A-C Special post kicked my butt in gear. I studied his build along with many others building karts to see what the flow was. Most are based on some rough measurements and specs to keep a fairly level plane if you plan on getting involved with the racing aspects they are trying to get going. I'm going close to the specs with some differences because I'm not really planning on racing...sorta. The guys have been taking heed of what I'm doing and it looks like I have some interest of building another or two to race out here. I have a pretty good little spot on a pond here on my property that would give me an almost perfect 1/10th mile circle track in dirt and mud. Staying with the concepts the cycle kart guys are doing, I'm basing mine on an original speedster. I'm sure mos of you will recognize the speedster. It's been noted before on this forum.

Anytime you try to scale something down size-wise, you lose alot of detail. I won't be able to produce the details of the engine but I'm hoping to capture enough detail and shape on this one that it should be readily recognizable...
My start on the frame had me leaving it long as I'm sizing things up to scale with the body work and placement of parts to make things look good. I'm also using some wheels that others don't seem to be using. I am searching for the right spokes, but these will get me on the run. These are 13" trailer wheels with 4 on 4 bolt pattern which fits the hubs on the karts. I used 130/60-13 tires. I'll compose some history for this thread on the original speedster and catch up the pix on the next post but here's what I have now.

I think I'm gonna' like this one. :D Do you have a giant headlight for it? That looks a lot like a '20-something Dodge or the like.

I think I'm gonna' like this one. :D Do you have a giant headlight for it? That looks a lot like a '20-something Dodge or the like.

I have one I plan to use. It's an old spot light of some sort. Single element and has a visor on it. I only had one so a single light on this is where I can use it wisely. It really puts a beam out, but not much spread. I'll get a pic of that later. Right now I'm still on the mechanics of the kart itself. I had got into a discussion with my bud Jr. that I could think this out with a removable body and have different looks just by swapping sheet metal. So all along, I've been buuilding with going that way in mind. I'm alot farther along than the pix show so far. I just need to upload some more pix. I'm down with a bad head cold right now and it made me cease work yesterday..I'll catch up. About the only mechanical stuff I have left to do is a small change in a steering bracket and placing a throttle cable. I could crank it and run it now.

A little history on the Speedster I'm using for inspiration. My searches have come up with bits and pieces. Don't know if they have been covered before but this is what I found.
G-N stands for Godfrey-Nash...the same Frazer Nash. I believe they built the speedster. Not sure who was responsible for the power plant which is a 5L J. A. Prestwicke aero motor. It is air cooled and has a total loss oiling system. Said to produce a little over 200 hp. Found 2 different time lines. Most say it was produced between 1910-1925 but found one description that narrowed that down to between 1910-1918. These were built on wood frames, mostly ash. Lots of brass on this thing and the engine is just too kool for skool. This one features a quarter eliptic front axle which I am using on mine. They don't do any suspension on most kart rears so mine is solid. I believe the speedster had 1/4 eliptic rear too. The original was a two seater but mine will be single which will give me a little leeway on shape change of the cockpit. I'd love to see this in person.

Wow! Awesome car to base a cart build on!!! I didn't realize that car was actually old - I assumed it was a modern steam punk build.

I notice the oil drips all over the floor. That chassis is a work of art itself.

Believe it or not Sam, the guy that owns it still races vintage races and from what I heard he drives it on the road....:rolleyes:

I must apologize for an error I made. The JAP motor should be spelled differently. That is J. A. Prestwich. Anybody into old stuff might enjoy this link:
http://fleshandrelics.com/2014/05/ja-prestwich-industries-history-of-jap.html

And I guess I'm gonna have problems posting info all the way with this build. Now it seems as tho I have a problem with the computer just transferring photos from my camera. Seems I've lost the Auto play feature that enables me to bring pix up from my camera....sheesh more crap to deal with...[S

Heheh! Just testing the steps I gotta go thru to post pix. New computer changed from pc to laptop and I gotta relearn everything....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back