To paint or not to paint? Patina Poll

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paint or Patina?

• Leave it, it's cool!

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Maroon is weird, paint it!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

lvin4jc

Hi guys. Wow! What a blast from the past. I was searching paint schemes for my my new rat and I ran across a picture of my old '62 in a post I put on here over five years ago!

Well now i'm facing the same question on my new rat. Should I leave the patina or paint the truck? I know satin black is sooo overdone but there are none anywhere near me so it'd be pretty fresh where I live. I actually really like natural patina trucks now, however, this "Royal Maroon" is not my favorite color. So I need your vote. Leave it be or paint it?

Thanks!

20161228_163904.jpg

Leave it alone. Yes maroon takes some getting used to but it grows on you.
Lik= the truck, had 69.
Lower it nice wheels and drive [cl

Maybe bead blast that girl & front bumper. I like the pair as it is. What does the hood & roof look like? Maybe "age" them a bit. Trucks should never be pretty.

I say leave it too.
I like those years of Fords :cool:
Flat black is over done and on those square bodied Fords it's even worse.
Spend your money on a cool set of wheels and for goodness sake, get some bigger tires :)

Lol, bigger tires are happening today. I bought it two days ago, don't blame me for the geo metro tires, haha.

Ok, I agree, it's growing on me more all the time. And, I learned with my very first project that once you paint it you can't go back. Ok, the votes are in, it's unanimous to leave it. I'm good with that.

Now, I have no idea what to do with wheels on a maroon truck. The best I can think of is brand new wimbeldon white on my current steelies (matching color of the grille) with shiny chrome dog dish hubcaps. Not sure though because white walls are not in my budget.

Very open to suggestion, even other wheels, what do you think?

Stock Wimbledon white steelies and dog dish caps with tall/narrow blackwall LT series tires is what a truck of that era NEEDS. Whitewalls would be all wrong...

Satin black the grille, bumpers, and wheels. Add skinny beauty rings, and chrome lug nuts.

Or leave it alone... [S

Not crazy about maroon either but if it were my truck, white smoothies, white grille and bumper, and to top it off, a white top. Thats just me. I had a 70, green with a white top. Rust streaks look killer on white.

Not crazy about maroon either but if it were my truck, white smoothies, white grille and bumper, and to top it off, a white top. Thats just me. I had a 70, green with a white top. Rust streaks look killer on white.

With new shiny white wheels... I'm planning on replacing the rancher's special rear bumper with a small one similar to the front. That will have to be painted fresh Wimbledon also.

At that point should i put fresh paint on the grille and front bumper or leave them?

Just not sure if having two things on the truck a fresh white and two an old white in the same color will look weird or not.

Thanks guys, i'm loving this and I've moved on with the patina decision in my head, it's for sure [cl

The aluminum grills look good on those trucks if you can find a good one. Sold the last one I had on eBay for $250 a few years back....

That's what I was thinking - white roof. And yeah....if you paint one thing fresh white, you gotta re-paint the rest of the other white too.

That's what I was thinking - white roof. And yeah....if you paint one thing fresh white, you gotta re-paint the rest of the other white too.

I'll have to mock up the roof thing. Not loving it in my head but I'll have to check it out.

Ok, i'm on board with the all fresh if one thing fresh idea. And I do really want to replace the rear bumper so we'll go that direction.

Also, i'm surprised to see people suggesting blacking out the wheels and grille. It just seems like with this dark maroon color that would be a lot of dark, I think it would look like a dark blob but I could be wrong... I was that one time.

Latest posts

Back