A few front susp questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

What shocks are you running on a straight axle with a transverse spring? Or I should ask how much ext and compression. I wouldn't think you'd need much and since I'll be making the brackets what would be a good choice that would be easy to get at your local auto parts store? On the positive caster, is 7 degrees good? I figured 1/8 inch toe in also. Another thing I was wondering, I've decided on cross steer, since I haven't mocked anything up yet I was wondering about a steering box, and the best way to run the drag link and steering rod. The vega box would have the pitman arm pointed rearward, correct? Just trying to get a plan together and have some parts together to get a start here pretty soon. This car had a 117 WB and I figured I'd go with 120 to gain some room. Also figured spring over axle but that could change. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, this is a 1st for me.

Speedway has a tierod end with a hole in it so you don't need the steering arm with 2 holes. 7 degrees should be plenty. 1/8 toe for radials, maybe slightly more for bias ply. Lots of people use the Vega box. A little sway bay would be a good idea for cross steer.

I don't know if you want to hear this because it can be more expensive than Speedway but I use Pete and jakes components on the front of my transverse leaf spring solid axle car because I put a lot of miles on it and they've never given me a failure

When I first built the Essex I used the Speedway cross steer tierod, if your drag link angle isn't perfect it will cause a very bad wander. This winter I changed to a set of Speedway steering arms with two tie rod locations on the passenger side and now it steers like a dream.

The 35 Dodge and the 37 GMC I've done both had the double eyed passenger side steering arm, they both drive exceptional.
The pitman arm on the Vega box points forward.

Some people will say 7 degrees is enough, but I disagree. I set up all my cars with 10 degrees caster and 1/8" toe-in. They track straight as an arrow at triple digit speeds and have made many cross-country trips on bias-ply tires with zero handling issues. I have never installed a steering stabilizer and never would. Opinions may vary, but that is my real world experience...

I was going by a gasser, 2 springs, axle, I didn't have a clue on this set up. Iknow 10 degrees drives good with them but you would get that front tire scoot when you were parking. I was going with the 2 hole right side steering arm. Ron Pope's are nice, I've used them. He even custom made me 1 once, I bought a pair for $35, and he made me up another the way I wanted for $15 more, I thought that was really good customer service. I'm getting the brakes from him also. So I could go vega box, steering behind axle, he also has the brackets to convert to transverse spring cheaper than I could make them. Speedway be ok on the spring? I guess a reversed eye would be best? I guess go with their shackle kit also?

Latest posts

Back