I need some serious adhesive!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I bought a raven skull sculpture to insert in the grille I'm building for the Ford. The ad said it was steel, so I planned to weld a 1/4" bolt on the back to mount it. Well... it's not steel. It's pewter. There isn't enough material to drill and tap it from the rear, so I'm looking for an adhesive that will work to hold the bolt in place and deal with the vibration of daily use. The sculpture is small, and weighs about 3 ounces.

I've heard of the body-panel adhesive, but have never used it. I need something that will take vibration as well as extreme cold. It gets below -20 degrees F here on a regular basis in the winter. :eek:

I'd appreciate any feedback on suggestions for a killer adhesive.

I would suggest windshield urethane, really tough and flexible. My experience with body panel adhesive is it dries hard and kind of brittle probably not good for vibration.

3M panel bond adhesive!!!!
you could glue stuff to air if you could get it to hold still!

it takes a bit of work for prep and mixing, but it is THE SH#T

I thought of trying to braze or solder a bolt to it, but I'm not sure I can do it without ruining the finish. It's not very big. I think I'll try one of the local body shops, have them give me a call when they're going to be using some panel bond. If not, I do have JB weld... :)

I bought some glue in a tube, 3M emblem adhesive, to glue some emblems on a car. They were potmetal, they were still on the car 3 years later when I got rid of it. 3oz is not really that heavy, you might want to hold the skull on with some tape until the glue dries. IIRC, that's what I did with the name emblems.

I'm with the doc. How about filling the back side (I am assuming it is kind of hollow) with JB Weld with a bolt fit in where you need it? Maybe use a rubber grommet for vibration control between the piece and the grille. Then affix with a lock nut.

Or just use one of the other ideas. All are good. [cl

Latest posts

Back