Buying Project Car, Long Distance

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacrat1

.Hey guys & gals

I see a project car, online, that I want to buy. I'm not talking about spending a big chunk of money, so if it doesn't meet my expectations, no big deal. The problem is, that the car is located in Southern California, and I'm in Ohio, 2,300 miles away. I can negociate the deal by email, but checking the vin (title says 4 door, car is 2 door) and paying for and getting title from a private party, seems troublesome. Even if I drove the 4,600 mile round trip, I would be traveling alone, with a wad of cash. The asking price is $1,950. I even priced out, taking a train, $275 each way and 2 1/2 days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe someone local can check it out for you from here. I live in CT and bought a pickup in Chicago and it went pretty well. Bought it from a guy who was on a board I frequent. He sent me a ton of pix and we talked. He mailed me all the paperwork and I had it shipped to me. Jim

Buying long distance is risky. You either need to know the person you're dealing with or ya need references from people they have dealt with.
The title having 4 door on it instead of 2 door is a red flag to me.
If the title and vin tag match then, someone has changed the bodies or pieced the vehicle together. Not too big of a deal here in Missouri but, other states are a lot more strict.
Paying someone to inspect the vehicle is an option but, you have to be very specific what you want them to look for and ask them to take pictures.
Shipping is probably the best way to get the vehicle to you and again, get references from people they have dealt with.
Good luck
p.s. post pics if ya have any

Title doesn't match? Run, do not walk away! We don't have the problem of titles on anything that old here in Bama, but from what I read, in other states a title can be a big PIA if it doesn't match.

I'd look for something closer you could actually go look at before buying. Pics will hide a lot of faults, nothing better than actually seeing something with your own eyes and putting your fingers on it.

The mismatched title would finish me instantly. Though I don't need a title as such, I wouldn't be able to import it, nor register the car with the wrong information. (The courts call it fraud. :eek:)

Buying long distance and shipping can be very risky. A friend bought a VW bug in Nevada We live in Rhode Island. Money was sent and a shipper was hired. Car never showed up. Caught the seller in lies and the shipper in lies on top of the shipper trying to extort more money. I would steer clear unless you know reputable people to help out.

PacRat send me a PM with an address, if its not to far from me i might can help. ?
But i'm with the guys, passing is your best bet:eek:

Hey Soltz:

I have not contacted the owner, yet. The car is on Craigslist, La Mesa, Ca. Kenny C. in one of the other replys, told of a friend of his sending money, and never getting the car. That is what I was worried about. If I can't live without this car, I will have to go in person. Thank you for your offer, though.

B S Lounge:

To all the guys, that responded to my plea for help. Thank you for your input. The reality is, that the only way I am going to: check vin plate, to see if it looks like it's been there for 70 years, check title to see if everything besides number of doors checks out, make sure that I get title notarized in my name, is to go there myself. Right now, I'm leaning towards pass on this car. Again thanks for your help, guys.

I was watching a car show a while back and a guy bought a real nice Camaro online sight unseen. Thing looked real good. Guy brought the car in for a few problems and they found lots of bondo but the biggest problem was a totally messed up front end. They ended up cutting the front end off and redoing the whole thing. As is I would suppose. Jim

Latest posts

Back