Torch?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtbone

I have been needing a heat source for breaking rusted nuts from bolts.
Propane has been ineffective, to cold.
Acetylene is the obvious choice, but is there a single tank set up for this application?
Thanks for any suggestions.:confused:

Acetylene is the obvious choice, but is there a single tank set up for this application?

How hot do you want?

Cherry red is cherry red, no matter what the heat source??

maybe a map gas torch ? not much that gets the heat of an oxy/acethylene set tho...

How hot do you want?

Cherry red is cherry red, no matter what the heat source??

Try map. There are plenty of times I like to use a small propane torch instead of oxy/acet as I can get into smaller area and control where the flame goes.:eek:
Yes it does take longer but as stated. Cherry red.......
Torchie

Problem with the bottle top propane torches is the fact they don't concentrate the point of the flame well enough.

No, you need two tanks, one acetylene, and one oxygen to make that work, but it is by far the best. Just used ours last night to loosen the steering shaft on the VW my kid is working on, and it took about 30 seconds to get it hot enough to slide right off.

We also have a mapp setup, but rarely use it, but it does work to some degree.

Ok I'll bite - Why are you only wanting a single tank?

No one is reinventing the wheel here - just use what works. A decent torch rig is a pretty crucial component even in a home garage. Treat yourself...

All of us have found that every new tool you buy becomes "How did I ever live without this thing !", and a torch set ranks right up there at the top. So many things you can do, like heating , bending, cutting, etc.

It does take a little initial outlay of money for the torches, tanks, having them filled, etc, but the gas lasts a long time, and then you own the whole deal. Call around in your area because a lot of welding equipment places will have different deals on the tanks, which become a big part of the purchase.

We started out with smaller tanks, and kept trading up to the biggest size, over the years. Most places will take your small ones in trade, and you simply pay the difference in cost between the two sizes, and also for the larger quantity of gas.

I rent high pressure tanks. Not sure if they are available in the US. The are as the size of medium tanks and contain as much gas as the biggest tanks. Big advantage is they come with build in pressure regulators so no need to invest in those . Quick releases, hoses and a torch... :)

Latest posts

Back