36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoe come you guys go on holiday and we go on vacation???

It'll be great to have a good running, nice looking flathead.

Life kept happening to me,-----sheesh------, but I guess that's better than it not happening anymore. But I did get back at the flat head so it's almost ready to slip into the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 21
Here's a little more progress on the motor swap.
This is the first time I've pulled a motor while the vehicle is on a hoist. It works out kinda nice. You do have to undo everything you want undone underneath the truck, when you first have the truck raised, because once you lower the hoist and truck to start lifting the motor out with the engine crane, you can't re-raise the truck.

Out with the old.

Attachments

• IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 23
A little setback has been handled today. I got two new pilot bearings when I got the motor rebuilt and put one in the lathed flywheel. ,Picture one, ---- it looks good, right? At the last minute I thought, 'I wonder if that ID on the pilot bearing is for a Ford transmission, [probably] or for the T-5 Chev trans that I have in the truck'. Sure enough, I forgot about the Chevy transmission so the bearing ID is too big. I made a shim in the second bearing and swapped the two bearings, pic two. Picture three is the friction disc that works on a T-5 and the Mercury pressure plate in place and aligned.

I mention this, not because I like talking about my failures, but as a guide to some of you to measure your pilot bearing size and clutch shaft end diameter. I think that you will have a chattery clutch on take off if your clutch shaft can fall down a wee bit when the pressure plate is disengaged. This will put the friction disc off centre while you're trying to engage the clutch. Food for thought.

Attachments

• IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 8
Torchie, there's also the saying [that probably will never be in a song] that says "I've never spent so much money to go so slow, before this project".
OI, I'm hoping for 150 horsepower, so at least 50 more than I had. My rings had lost their spring so my old compression was down a bit so maybe I only had 85 to 90 horses before. I have a theory on horsepower. I takes about 100 horses to move your car along at highway speed so that's like your expenses, and if you have 100 horsepower gross you break even. If you have 150 horses you have 50 horses profit, which is a way more fun.

Dozer, I'm slower than I'd like, because life keeps happening to me, and I keep accepting other challenges. Luckily, I have a nice '55 Merc to play with in the meantime.

Attachments

• 55 Merc front right.jpg
    55 Merc front right.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 16
Yeah. Those obsolete engine wil get you every time.$$$$$$
I'm trying to ease my bro-in-law into how much that marine Y block is going to cost.:eek:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Thank you OI.
Torchie, obsolete is my middle name, so I have to pay to be different.
A little more progress. The motor is now in the truck, but the transmission is not in place, exactly. This could take five minutes or five hours work for me. I should get back at the swap today.

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 16
Well I've got an annoying job done. The transmission is bolted in. It fought me all the way. I wiggled, shook, and pried on that dang thing for many hours. :mad:

There are quite a few little things to do yet.

Latest posts

Back