concept discussion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didnt Sam start a model A build where he was planning on putting a honda engine in the back????

kinda similar concept..? either way I always support eman builds!

been done but a little different

i remember an article in a street rodder or rod action or one the other mags of the time, a guy built a '30 closed cab pick up with vw motor and trans in the back. the truck was all stock looking and if i remember right it was all gloss black. another guy named walt built a pickup with the vw engine in the box. maybe not exactly the same but your idea would work great too.

Last edited:
Hope you're not being effected by the sand storm....:eek:

If they are showing sandstorms from here on the news just realize they look bad from a distance but here in town we usually aren't even aware of them.
:)

didnt Sam start a model A build where he was planning on putting a honda engine in the back????

kinda similar concept..? either way I always support eman builds!

Thanks Bud!

i remember an article in a street rodder or rod action or one the other mags of the time, a guy built a '30 closed cab pick up with vw motor and trans in the back. the truck was all stock looking and if i remember right it was all gloss black. another guy named walt built a coupe with the vw engine in the trunk.

Yep FHG i have seen some VW engines in Model As. The Subie has many modern features that are making it appealing to me. One big one is the A/C unit. :)

eman, you have any pics of the A/C unit???

I'm seeing that the struts go high. Those could be replaced by coilovers no doubt.
subie%20used_zps8ofbhzj9.jpg

I've seen a few trikes where the builder made a framework similar to a cage on a race car that coilovers attached to in order to locate them after ditching struts.

Been gone for a few days. Yeah, I have planed for a Honda motor and front clip for a mid-engine set up in a '29 Tudor. Took a bunch of measurements and designed the frame on the PC. The issues I have (besides time!) is a safe place for the gas tank, radiator room and airflow, and I think I need different A-arms/spindles - these put the top ball joint over the tire.

Very usable :cool:[P[P[P

Good!

I've seen a few trikes where the builder made a framework similar to a cage on a race car that coilovers attached to in order to locate them after ditching struts.

Good to hear this is just how i am seeing it. I'm thinking angle iron to cradle the Model a frame for just a bolt in unit. All the modifications done prior to just slipping the whole unit under and bolting it up.

Been gone for a few days. Yeah, I have planed for a Honda motor and front clip for a mid-engine set up in a '29 Tudor. Took a bunch of measurements and designed the frame on the PC. The issues I have (besides time!) is a safe place for the gas tank, radiator room and airflow, and I think I need different A-arms/spindles - these put the top ball joint over the tire.

Safe place for the tank would be the original cowl tank or in the free space under the hood right? I need to get to the junkyard with a tape measure and see if this is even practical.Probably should wait until it cools down a little tho, maybe 105 down from 110.

yup somewhere in my book collection, I have article on a model a ford (?) that had a Japanese theme, it ran a Datsun 4 cyl motor. tastefully done lots of chrome even a rising sun flag stitched into the roof . I think it was in an old Petersen publication . ill try a find it ...
something different for sure an it looked real clean ..

Id say go for it ,, theres plenty aftermarket A arms for hot rods on the market .. a box of tape measures...

id really like to see this project gather some speed..

Safe place for the tank would be the original cowl tank or in the free space under the hood right? I need to get to the junkyard with a tape measure and see if this is even practical.Probably should wait until it cools down a little tho, maybe 105 down from 110.

It's a dry heat. :D

Well, the original thought was to see how low I could get it. The engine went to the rear so I'd have leg room up front under the hood. It's one of those 'figure it out when I get there' problems. The last problem is the flange to flange width on what would be the rear is too narrow for the A-body. Longer axles will be needed, or narrow up the body.

Look into the Midlana or Seven.

yup somewhere in my book collection, I have article on a model a ford (?) that had a Japanese theme, it ran a Datsun 4 cyl motor. tastefully done lots of chrome even a rising sun flag stitched into the roof . I think it was in an old Petersen publication . ill try a find it ...
something different for sure an it looked real clean ..

Id say go for it ,, theres plenty aftermarket A arms for hot rods on the market .. a box of tape measures...

id really like to see this project gather some speed..

Nothing wrong with Japanese stuff i just wish there were something else US made. Nope, not going with Corvair and flipped axle.:rolleyes: It may have gathered some speed already if i can commit to just using the model a i already have.:p About those tape measures it seems like both ends are the dumb end when i use them.

It's a dry heat. :D

Well, the original thought was to see how low I could get it. The engine went to the rear so I'd have leg room up front under the hood. It's one of those 'figure it out when I get there' problems. The last problem is the flange to flange width on what would be the rear is too narrow for the A-body. Longer axles will be needed, or narrow up the body.

Look into the Midlana or Seven.

Wheel tubs maybe.

dry%20heat%202_zpsentjwrrr.jpg

Latest posts

Back