38 Chevy sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this was the 70's there would be no debate, the tires would be hangin' out, 80's, tucked in.
I know it's a bunch of metal work, but I would think about raising the rear fenders about 3" up the side of the body and trim the openings larger so the tires don't look like a 10lb sausage in a 5lb skin - keep the tires barely inside the openings. I think raising the fenders would make the rear of the body appear lower and less massive, widening them would just make it look more chubby. Also it would get the rear lower.
I'd do a photoshop but am lacking the skill......

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what zz said.

My concern with the tires outside the fenders is suspension travel, like dirtyrat said, not enough clearance. Unless you are going to make it a hardtail trailer queen. But I think I know you well enough to say you won't be doing that ;)
I really like it, nice body lines. Gonna look sweet no matter what you do. I'll be watching [P

How in the heck does that not rub the fender on launch? Its like 3/4" away from the tire...

Uh, yeah. Poor example. I'd imagine that car is rigid and doesn't "squat" much.

If this was the 70's there would be no debate, the tires would be hangin' out, 80's, tucked in.
I know it's a bunch of metal work, but I would think about raising the rear fenders about 3" up the side of the body and trim the openings larger so the tires don't look like a 10lb sausage in a 5lb skin - keep the tires barely inside the openings. I think raising the fenders would make the rear of the body appear lower and less massive, widening them would just make it look more chubby. Also it would get the rear lower.
I'd do a photoshop but am lacking the skill......

Can you run over here and give me a hand? :D

10 lb sausage in a 5lb skin? Sounds like my own words. Do you have ESP? [S

I don't have a problem with a 70's look. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to avoid the modern race car/pro street configuration because I've seen it a million times. I respect your opinion ZZ, and I did chop some photos....then I tossed them. Problem. If I raise the fender, it begs for a chop. Then it needs to be sectioned. Then it needs to be sweeping the floor. In my experiments it quickly took the profile of a Pro Mod and it looked good, but not what I'm after. In that case, I might as well buy a fiberglass 37. Puke.

It's more than possible that I don't see what you see. I'll monkey with some pics and post 'em if I have something decent.

As it is, I think I'm going to find another pair of fenders. Radius one pair and leave the other pair alone so I can have it both ways, 15'' wheels peeking out or the 10'' slots tucked in.

Somebody mentioned a blower.[dr I wish I had one on the shelf...but I don't. :mad: It will happen someday, mark my words. I missed the opportunity to buy a buddy's blown 396 a few years ago and I'm still sick about it. Teflon stripped Cragar huffer and 700 ponies...sorry, these pics suck...

img078.jpg

Here's the 468 it's gonna get...

img075.jpg

Again, I appreciate everybody's input and suggestions.

I hacked up another photo similar to what I had done before...chopped a couple inches, sectioned a couple and lowered a touch...

IMG_0501-Copy.jpg

That's where my photo "skills" end. Like I said, it starts to resemble a Pro Mod, not what I'm looking for.

Dino mentioned hybrid gasser. That's probably the best way to describe my intentions.

Now here's what I'd like to do, drop the front end a few inches and only the front. I've had the front tires FLAT and it comes much closer to what I have in mind. PS guys?

IMG_0502-Copy.jpg

Doc, are ya stuck on the, what looks like 32" tall rear tires or would 28" be better ?
By all means drop the front 3 to 4"

It looks like you makded the wheelwell about 2 to 3 inches off the big'o meats for triming the wheelwell. If thats so I would go with your last pics and make it happen.

Doc, are ya stuck on the, what looks like 32" tall rear tires or would 28" be better ?
By all means drop the front 3 to 4"

All I know for sure, is I want as much tire in there as possible. The tire on the slotted wheel measured to the outside, I believe is 12''x29". The big one properly inflated, is 18''x35". I might have to split the difference before I'm thru, which is fine because both tires are scrap anyhow. What I haven't messed with, is the tire on those Weld wheels. (except for the one pic). They measure 16''x32" which might be what I need.

It looks like you makded the wheelwell about 2 to 3 inches off the big'o meats for triming the wheelwell. If thats so I would go with your last pics and make it happen.

You're right. I did mark a line with thoughts of trimming it out, hopefully providing adequate clearance for some travel. I think Old Iron has me going in the right direction. That monster I have stuffed in there is too big when fully inflated. If I use the smaller tire, it should fit that marked line much better.

Why didn't I think of that? Duh. Oh yeah, because I don't care for the Weld wheels and my brain refuses to let go of the biggest tire I have.

This is why I ask you guys. I hung those Welds on the wall and never considered them again. The answer may have been right in front of me the whole time. Thank you Old Iron.

ZZ, can you tell me more about your raising the fender idea? Am I safe to assume you mean raise them both, front and rear? I'm not rigidly stuck in my retro thinking and wonder what you see in your mind's eye.

ZZ, can you tell me more about your raising the fender idea? Am I safe to assume you mean raise them both, front and rear? I'm not rigidly stuck in my retro thinking and wonder what you see in your mind's eye.

Doc, I tried to do a photoshop of it but I think a kindergarden kid could do better.. I was only thinking of raising the rears, I guess if you raised the fronts as well you might as well section it. My idea was to raise them and extend the front edge by the same amount to meet the running board, also stretch the rear so it comes down as far as originally. Of course it wouldn't be easy as the line where the fender runs down the side of the trunk would be real problem to deal with. Buncha work for sure, not every idea is a bright one. I s'pose....[S

I've got a soft spot for 38's, here's a pic of one I built 10 years ago - a lowly 4 dr., did a custom grille and other things. Your 2dr. is a lot more 'graceful' looking.

Attachments

• 1938 chev.jpg
    1938 chev.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 21
Not great, was real quick but might help with your idea a bit, dunno...

attachment.php

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 94
BigD, you definitely injected some "attitude" and it does help some.Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation, ZZ. Beautiful 4 door BTW, nice grille and my favorite color, too.

Neverdone, I don't think those headers are going on the car. It might get a little gassy with the collectors poking thru the windshield. :D

Last edited:
I won't be using those headers, they stay with the boat. (Or they'll hang on the wall).

I got tired of messing with the rear. I made a tube axle and used some truck wheels to make it roll again.

Literally moving forward, I pulled the front sheetmetal, motor and trans. I had to look under the valve cover to satisfy my curiosity...

IMG_0620.jpg

And a peek down the carb...

IMG_0622.jpg

I should have tried to make it run.

Anyhow, out it came. Next, a spare big block and an empty 400 case...

IMG_0630.jpg

I slid the two between the rails and made some temporary mounts that allow them to slide back and forth for adjustments. I slapped a pair of heads on it and a set of fenderwells I got in trade for some fab work...

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Latest posts

Back