Mandatory backup cameras?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto, learn to use your mirrors..........if you can't back up without a camera chances are you won't be able to back up with one either.

I agree. When I started teaching my daughters to drive at,12 years old , the first thing I did was tear the interior mirror off and told them the couldn't look over their shoulder or turn their head to back up. and now at 15 and 17 years old they will tell me I'm cheating if I should glance over my shoulder. my oldest can backup a trailer with only using the mirrors.

And in 2019 they'll make it law that all the cameras must have tiny little wipers. The law is in reaction to people running over their own kids etc. Well, you can't fix stupid. Yes, that is cold, but I have nearly backed over a person before - it was because I was being inattentive and stupid.

The first three rules UPS drivers are taught are: 1 - Don't back. 2 - Don't back. 3 - Don't back. #4 Is: If you have to back up, do it before you park, so when you leave you don't have to check what is behind you or back onto a roadway.

That all said, with the size of trucks nowadays, those cameras are handy.

People been driving with out them for 100 years. Thinking they need to learn how the old folk did it and keep up with that trend. Just another BS reason for auto makers to charge another $1k for a friggin car.

My sister was so proud when she got her new car cause it had those on it. Now every time I see her car I put a piece of tape over it and she FLIPS out because the camera doesn't work. Pretty funny to me.

When I drove a 18 wheeler,I always walked around the truck to see if anything was behind me,and to look at the tires ,ect.I still do that with my 4 wheeler,just a habit.

I'm generally against all new laws...the Ten Commandments are plenty. I do understand, however, why some of the new cars need cameras. My wife has a new XTS-V Cadillac that you flat can't see out of the back without the camera until you've really, really gotten used to it.

It's just one more thing to dumb down drivers IMO. But also the car companys need to keep coming up with new gadgets so this years model has something last years model didn't have.
I know it's not brand new but I had my first encounter with a keylees truck last summer. New Dodge and there is no keys. The fob unlocks the truck and must be inside with you before it will start (by pushing the start button) Cool stuff for the younger tech oriented crowd but just more needless crap to make a car cost more money to me. People who pay 70,000 for a pickup or suv expect more of that technology.

My wifes van is a pain in the butt to see out of backing up but weve had it for 5 years and haven't backed into or over anything yet. We know how to use the mirrors and look over our shoulders. Not that tough

Cool stuff for the younger tech oriented crowd but just more needless crap to make a car cost more money to me. People who pay 70,000 for a pickup or suv expect more of that technology.

I would agree, but also agree with being being lazy. Similar to the new Ford's being able to parallel park themselves. Friends of ours bought a new Buick Enclave??? She was going on and on about all the tech features and how it wasn't a mini van and how it was so worth the nearly $70g's paid. I made the comment it was a minivan without the sliding doors, needless to say that didn't sit real well, she argued it was a crossover I think, which again was my retort of, half "mini van" half SUV, any way you shape it, it's still a mini van. Haven't talked to her in a while...

The new tech stuff is cool and all, but as a younger person I enjoy driving and for me each and every piece of tech crap that is being added these days erodes that enjoyment just a little.

My wifes minivan has the backup sensors.....I was driving it most of the last few years. I find it quite useful, but when I got my pickup last year (no sensors), I found it more of a chore to back up, always waiting for the beep. Not saying the camera/beep will be good or bad, but I think it takes away from your skill a bit

I backed into something one time. I was driving a VW Kombi (microbus), and you can't see anything that's right behind you. We came out of a store & just as I was about ready to pull forward into traffic, a motorcycle pulled in right in front of me. I looked back, didn't see anything back there, and backed into and knocked over another cycle that had been setting right behind the Kombi. I had planned to pull forward, so I hadn't looked behind the vehicle before I got in. Made me feel really stupid, and costed me a bit (a good bit more than I would throw in the ditch) to fix the stuff I busted when I knocked it over.

Ditto, learn to use your mirrors..........if you can't back up without a camera chances are you won't be able to back up with one either.

What kinda mirrors you got to see a trailer ball on the back of a 1 ton dually, when you back up to a 40' trailer?

With the camera, first time right under it with no help at all.

Latest posts

Back