Water tank for a gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dude

I really like this idea of using a water tank for a fuel tank. So, I've been searching these archives until I'm blue in the face, all to no avail. I have a new 20 gallon pressure tank (bladder type) that's just setting around doing nothing. My question is: Has anyone done this? Did you use any thing for baffles? How did you mount the filler neck and gas gauge? Is there a build on this in this forum anywhere? I may have been using the wrong words in the search section. Thank you all for your help.

i thought about using one of them portable air tanks, i think there 12 or so gallons and you can pick them up at hf for 30 or so bucks.

most after market tanks dont have baffles in them, not all but most. the filler neck could be 2" pipe welded to the tank, radiator hose ran to your gas cap of your choise.

i havent figured out the fuel gauge yet. thought about the tube/ sight gas but not to set on that one yet.

Seeing as I already have the tank, I guess I'll use it. I know the rubber bladder can be taken out of the top. Seeing as it hasn't been used, it should come out pretty easy. I prolly will use your suggestion for the filler, but use a rubber one off one of my downer trucks. I do have a steel tank out of my 93, but it's one of those pressurized ones for FI I just may use that one instead. That way I can use the sender unit, and remove the pump. BUT... That will mean I will have to put a torch to the used tank. I'm not too sure of myself when it comes to that yet. I think I'll stick to the water tank. I plan on mounting it behind the cab in a bed I'll have to fab up, so not too worried about it sloshing side to side. I may have to stuff a bunch of that gas tank foam in it. I'll be sure to take pics when I do it.

I f you have a big truck parts yard around you, you can usually find an old big truck air tank. That is what I used , and only paid $25 for it. It holds 14 gallons, and is very stout.

Air tank is good idea

One of my boys turns wrenchs for a trucking company.... used an old tank for his mud truck fuel tank... works great.... you would have to lose that bladder unless you knew it could be used with petroleum products.....old air tank would be my suggestion.....

Old, used air tanks may/may not have a drain in the bottom used for draining moisture... most will have some corrosion in them, which is a bad thing to have in your fuel tank.
LRR

Old, used air tanks may/may not have a drain in the bottom used for draining moisture... most will have some corrosion in them, which is a bad thing to have in your fuel tank.
LRR

Just like anything, you have to check out what you are buying before you pay for it. Most of the air tank I have bought had more oil residue in them than moisture. You just have to be careful about buying anything used to carry go juice.

Was thinking more so of a semi air brake tank...

Most tanks off of semi's have water dryers, seperators and blow offs so moisture isn't normally an issue.... outside of warm weather states that might not need or require them... (not sure there are any states that don't need them now)lol...... but you'll get some oily residue in them... they are usually much higher quality metals and designed to last..... some trucking companies simply replace them after a designated number of years or as DOT requirements for that state might dictate.... like a regular PM deal....the ones we've gottten are not rusty inside... most will have a manual drain valve as well as the blow off and dryers... here in Michigan you don't want your air brakes to freeze up..lol

Latest posts

Back