28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fuel tank is finished other than the filler neck and the pressure test. The filler neck won't be here till next week.

Video https://youtu.be/piH4OGqxbYA

Clearance for the pan hard bar

attachment.php

attachment.php

Baffles and end caps

attachment.php

Withdrawl fitting.

attachment.php

Baffle install

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Fuel tank 2 002.jpg
    Resize of Fuel tank 2 002.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 89
  • Resize of Fuel tank 2 003.jpg
    Resize of Fuel tank 2 003.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Resize of Fuel tank 2 007.jpg
    Resize of Fuel tank 2 007.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Resize of Fuel tank 2 008.jpg
    Resize of Fuel tank 2 008.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 86
  • Resize of Fuel tank 2 001.jpg
    Resize of Fuel tank 2 001.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 88
Grrrrrrr

Okay guys need some help, the center frost plug in the block that was installed with the rest at the machine shop had a real small leak. I changed it out as it was annoying. Well now the one I installed is leaking much worse. How do you seal them up/ install them? I put Permatex aircraft gasket goop on the plug and in the hole before I wacked it in which was a pain in the butt cuzz of the frame rail.

I had the same problem with the 440 in my cuda. Needless to say, the whole car was in the way... :mad:

I used brass plugs. Roughed up the surface of both in length direction ( hope that makes sense) with some 80grid and applied a thin coat of silicone on both. No problem after that. I replaced boxes full of plugs on all kinds of engines over the years and the only one that ever leaked was the center plug on the drivers side in the most filled engine bay I ever had... :eek::D

My worst experience, was with a block heater in my diesel. Long story short, I resorted to windshield urethane... it don't leak, and it's probably never coming out either!

I had the same problem with the 440 in my cuda. Needless to say, the whole car was in the way... :mad:

I used brass plugs. Roughed up the surface of both in length direction ( hope that makes sense) with some 80grid and applied a thin coat of silicone on both. No problem after that. I replaced boxes full of plugs on all kinds of engines over the years and the only one that ever leaked was the center plug on the drivers side in the most filled engine bay I ever had... :eek::D

Thanks Dutch, I can't get a brass plug here at the moment [S I will try roughing up the surfaces and another steel plug this weekend. Never had a problem in the past.

My worst experience, was with a block heater in my diesel. Long story short, I resorted to windshield urethane... it don't leak, and it's probably never coming out either!

I will have to buy a tube of that if the silicone doesn't work.:mad:

Almost 2.5 weeks to build and install the fuel tank, time flies and projects take way longer than you think.
Got all the welding done, all the mounting brackets built and all the fittings figured out.
Video https://youtu.be/4L0Rnb21-l0
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Gas tank complete 006.jpg
    Resize of Gas tank complete 006.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Resize of Gas tank complete 005.jpg
    Resize of Gas tank complete 005.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Resize of Gas tank complete 004.jpg
    Resize of Gas tank complete 004.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Resize of Gas tank complete 003.jpg
    Resize of Gas tank complete 003.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Resize of Gas tank complete 002.jpg
    Resize of Gas tank complete 002.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Resize of Gas tank complete 001.jpg
    Resize of Gas tank complete 001.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Looks great Glen, you sure made use of the space! The straps look good - did you fab up those clips for the tension bolts or buy them?

Been a while since I updated the build, been real busy at work and my wife's sister who was our neighbor passed away last Sunday.
I got the body finished up on the underside and floors so I could undercoat it with Rustoleum rubberized undercoating really great product but terrible fumes and lots of over spray. I put two coats of flat black on the firewall.

Video https://youtu.be/6T-j0IBcWP8

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had some oil canning going on on the floor and the deck behind the seats, I purchased a ProShaper 9"shrinking disc a while back to be honest it scared the crap out of me. I put in on my Makita angle grinder and once it was up to speed it had such a gyroscopic effect you couldn't control it so it has hung on the wall unused. I have a 7"variable speed polisher and thought I would give it a try on that at a lower speed, what a difference, this is now a must have tool, it took me less than a minute each to get the oil canning out of the floor and the top panels on the deck. Put a little heat in with the disc then spray some soapy water on to cool, done.

attachment.php

Air tank, battery compartment undercoated.

attachment.php

Underside undercoated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My Torchie set up for installing the body.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Body on 001.jpg
    Resize of Body on 001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 43
  • Resize of Body on 002.jpg
    Resize of Body on 002.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Resize of Body on 004.jpg
    Resize of Body on 004.jpg