Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Crosley's motor just found a new home. :rolleyes:

Could be, Dr. C. Could be...

My friend Terry saw this post and rode over on his vintage, restored Harley Sportster to offer some encouragement. Said I should get it running and driving before I make the decision to dismantle it and throw in a small block. I agreed I will buy the better oil filter adapter and see if that fixes the problem.

As luck would have it, I was digging through some stuff in the garage attic looking for something else and I came across just the adapter I intended to buy. When my friend/neighbor moved out a few years ago he gave me a bunch of parts he didn't want to take with. In there was the adapter. I'll throw it on, see if it works.

Could be, Dr. C. Could be...

My friend Terry saw this post and rode over on his vintage, restored Harley Sportster to offer some encouragement. Said I should get it running and driving before I make the decision to dismantle it and throw in a small block. I agreed I will buy the better oil filter adapter and see if that fixes the problem.

As luck would have it, I was digging through some stuff in the garage attic looking for something else and I came across just the adapter I intended to buy. When my friend/neighbor moved out a few years ago he gave me a bunch of parts he didn't want to take with. In there was the adapter. I'll throw it on, see if it works.

I was going to suggest that you try another adapter and see if that clears it up, they generally work pretty well, much better than the canister type.

Hang in there bud, I know these little problems can make you want to walk away for a while, but you are so close now.

Thanks for the encouragement, Don. The Bantam is on a time out for bad behavior. Going to go racing with the dragster this weekend so it's getting most of the attention.

Odie came over to pick up the Big Block. I mentioned I sold it in my Jeep engine build thread. Confusing, Eh? Anyhow, he brought a bunch of high output lights and hung them in the garage. Also rewired the pump in my lift station to the drain field.Some of our mutual friends think I sold the engine too cheap and he is throwing in some extra services.
While he was doing his electrician thing, I pulled the engine. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to set a bare small block in between the frame rails. Will whip up some motor mounts in the next couple days.

Attachments

• sun 005.jpg
    sun 005.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 32
  • sun 001.jpg
    sun 001.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 30
  • sun 002.jpg
    sun 002.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 27
  • sun 003.jpg
    sun 003.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 26
I didn't know.

Lo and behold. No need to make new motor mounts. The pieces I made for the Big Block fit the Small Block.
Unfortunately the Schoenfeld sprit car headers that were on the Crosley won't fit this car.

Attachments

• mount 001.jpg
    mount 001.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 27
  • mount 002.jpg
    mount 002.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 30
Lo and behold. No need to make new motor mounts. The pieces I made for the Big Block fit the Small Block.
Unfortunately the Schoenfeld sprit car headers that were on the Crosley won't fit this car.

That's one of the few things I liked about the Chevy V8s. The motor mounts would interchange. The new lights make for a new outlook on things .
Stay after it Brother. [cl[cl[P[P[cl[cl

Getting ready for late spring

As stated before, I sold the 468 Big Block out of the Bantam and intend to put a small block in it. The 406 that powered the Crosley to 10.40's in the quarter seemed a good candidate. Last time it was at the strip it bucked hard against the starter and wrecked it and the flex plate teeth. It's got maybe 50 runs on it so I figured I would tear it down and freshen it up. I found some rust in the valley chamber from when the intake was off while in storage. More reason to take it apart and clean it, check everything out. Found some very minor scratches on the bottoms of half the lifters. Don't know if that is a problem. I'll mic the lobes and check for wear. There are cracks of a very minor nature from the upper steam holes to the head bolt holes. An internet search says that is common. The close up pic is of a small crack from the head bolt hole to the cylinder. Fortunately that cylinder is sleeved so I think it won't be a problem either. Just use studs instead of head bolts. I'm going to ask my machine shop guy about some other issues. It has Dart Iron Eagle heads, a Comp cam, TRW forged domed pistons, double roller timing chain, and so on. Hopefully it will be a good runner in the Bantam. I'll have to add a little race gas to the tank to satisfy the 12-1/2 to 1 compression ratio.

Attachments

• 406 001.jpg
    406 001.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 406 003.jpg
    406 003.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 406 002.jpg
    406 002.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 32
If that's the only cylinder to have the cracks then, you'll be alright but, if the others are cracked then they also need sleeved.
I've built a bunch of .348's 377's 406's and those cracks are pretty common. I could never git rid of the minor coolant leaks even with studs until the cylinder was sleeved.

OI, the cylinder pictured is cracked from the head bolt hole to the bore. I believe that is why it was sleeved. The other cracks are from the upper steam holes to the head bolt holes. Some builders put silicone under the head bolt heads to stop the leakage into the valve cover. I didn't see any signs of leakage.
I have a 327 I could use but the Bantam has a tall gear in it and the torque of the 406 would be welcome.

Uh oh, flat lobe on the Comp Xtreme Energy cam. I have an almost new Lunati VooDoo cam of about the same specs. in the attic. My plan is to clean the block, put the cam in, use studs in place of the head bolts and stuff the engine in the Bantam. If it doesn't work, I'll do something else.

Pretty Sad

For 75 years my brother and I have been the best of friends. Separated by 400 miles now, we still had a great deal of affection for each other.
He called a couple nights ago and after a bit of chit chat he decided to get into politics. I told him don't go there because we have different views. Nevertheless, he launched a tirade at me which I regarded as highly insulting, demeaning and cruel. Told him he just ended a lifelong friendship.

So, as a feeble act of childish spite, I cancelled him from the Bantam. It's tough to lose a brother over politics.

On the engine front, I am going to reassemble the 406 as is, cracks and all, but with the Lunati VooDoo cam. We'll see what happens. It'll just cost me a gasket set.

Attachments

• cancel 001.jpg
    cancel 001.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 15
For 75 years my brother and I have been the best of friends. Separated by 400 miles now, we still had a great deal of affection for each other.
He called a couple nights ago and after a bit of chit chat he decided to get into politics. I told him don't go there because we have different views. Nevertheless, he launched a tirade at me which I regarded as highly insulting, demeaning and cruel. Told him he just ended a lifelong friendship.

So, as a feeble act of childish spite, I cancelled him from the Bantam. It's tough to lose a brother over politics.

On the engine front, I am going to reassemble the 406 as is, cracks and all, but with the Lunati VooDoo cam. We'll see what happens. It'll just cost me a gasket set.
A wound from a loved one is always more painful. Especially after many good years. Consider that he might be in serious emotional pain over recent events, and "struck out" where he felt safe to do so. I know that doesn't make any sense, but that is the nature of humankind. Don't give up on him. Its not about you. These are trying times for many, and a little love and understanding may be in order.

I think the above is as much for me as anyone else that may read it and find it useful.

Latest posts

Back