Old Peoria raceway (Boondocks) photos

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowdrive

Peoria has some pretty good history with both rods and racing, It was home to the first NSRA nationals in 1970. On a local forum I am on we recently had some guys that use to race at Boondocks post some of the pictures they took along the way....the track closed in the late 70's and is now just a few chunks of concrete and a starting tree stand in a farmers field.

Here is a pic from that first 1970 NSRA nationals in downtown Peoria

rodp_0710_05_z+first_nationaL_event+top_view.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some of the Boondocks pictures......dont know if anyone is interested or if posting these here are ok!

Dragpics600044.jpg

Dragpics600043.jpg

Dragpics600023.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa! Thats aweosme. Im from Peoria. Haha.
And the local forum, if its the one Im thinking of, for some reason im on the miserable users list and it wont let me log on...I have no idea why, except for the "owner" of the site doesnt like it when I make fun of Mustangs....but yea. Ha.
Awesome pics.

Very Cool!!!! Love the timeless pics like this. And can you believe it....a hot dog and a 12 oz soda was a whole 35 cents......where have to good days gone?

Got somemore but they appear to be more late 60's early 70's like these....

Don Gartlits at Boondocks Dragway, Peoria, IL Father's Day 1974 for match race with Neil Swartzbaugh

24949_107227672645048_100000734468694_101931_5374114_n.jpg

attachment.php

cars156.jpg

cars146.jpg

I appreciate your time and effort. Are you scanning and resizing these pictures. It can be a lot of work. Thanks!
83 mph track record for dragster!

I appreciate your time and effort. Are you scanning and resizing these pictures. It can be a lot of work. Thanks!
83 mph track record for dragster!

No I cant take the credit, I am just linking to them........we had the guy that took the pictures join our local forum recently and he got them to one of the mods and he did all the hard work. We do have one of the forum owners that just had his dad pass a 57 chevy on to this summer that was raced there as a home track and has been sitting under a cover since it closed........very very cool stuff.

here is a pic of his dads car at Boondocks from back when

scan0001-1.jpg

here are some pics from earlier this summer

Picture048.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Whoa! Thats aweosme. Im from Peoria. Haha.
And the local forum, if its the one Im thinking of, for some reason im on the miserable users list and it wont let me log on...I have no idea why, except for the "owner" of the site doesnt like it when I make fun of Mustangs....but yea. Ha.
Awesome pics.

Yep you bought your truck from Joe off of that forum.....same guy I got mine from :).

Latest posts

Back