1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great fab work Bob. What an imagination you have, to think out all of those mods you've done on it. You're fortunate to have gotten such a rust free body. Perley

FiatTabs003.jpg

Monday I took a load of parts to be sandblasted and brought the box home. Spent part of this morning hammer and dollying the dents out of one side. When arm fatigue set in I started making parts for the Fiat project. A benefit of having two project going at one time.

FiatAArmDone008.jpg

I took the frame and a truckload of smaller parts to Jerry the Sandblaster on Monday and picked evrything up Thursday. Jerry hurt his arm last week and really shouldn't have been working. He is black & blue from the elbow to the shoulder. He threw in 3/4 gallon of epoxy primer for free. Saturday is frame painting day.[cl

flamineclipse, since I retired 14 years ago I have averaged a build a year. Actually started in this hobby in 1957. Good luck on your '36.

Great info

Thanks for all the great build info on your Plymouth. Thought you might like to see what I just picked up with the intention on building it by next Sept and giving it to my wife for her 50th Birthday.

Mike in Kirkland WA

Attachments

• DSC_1486.jpg
    DSC_1486.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_1487.jpg
    DSC_1487.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_1488.jpg
    DSC_1488.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 55
PlyEpooch005.jpg

Today was a special day in this build. I "turned the corner", meaning parts are being installed for the final time. Two coats of epoxy primer were brushed on last week. A reciever hitch was welded to the rear crossmember yesterday. I picked up the new rack & pinion in the pic today for $75 off Craigslist.

Mike in WA., looks like a good project there. There was a '40 Dodge pickup on Craigslist here yesterday for $750. I was briefly tempted, then decided one is enough.

PlyFiat001.jpg

The pic isn't much to look at. However, I have been installing parts; front suspension, rear suspension, fuel line, brake lines and so on. The pinion seal was leaking so I started that repair this afternoon. I bought an after market power rack & pinion only to find out they don't bolt on to a stock MII crossmember.

Gotta order a big brake kit as the puny MII rotors are insufficient to stop the truck when hauling a drag car on a trailer.

Reassembly is going slower than expected as I discover problems and seem to take two steps forward and one step back. Also, my other project is more fun and keeps me from working on this one.

Last edited:
PlytoJerry003.jpg

The chassis is pretty well assembled. Time to take the cab to Jerry the Sandblaster. It took me about 4 hours to dig the trailer out of the snowy field. My 2wd S-10 is worthless in snow so I had to salt and scrape the driveway and hook up chains and a cable hoist from the hitch to the trailer, about 40 feet. Then slowly I winched the trailer up to the driveway.

PlytoJerry002.jpg

The cab was in the garage and piled full of parts. With the help of my son & grandson we dragged the cab down the driveway a ways and horsed it onto the trailer. I called Jerry the Sandblaster to see if he would be open Friday. He said he just got home from the hospital. Earlier in the day his throat closed up and he was suffocating to death. The emt's saved him. Told him he would have been dead in another 10 minutes. But tomorrow he'll be blasting away. Tough guy.

I need to start getting my pieces from the 39 over to the blaster also......if you dont mind just curious what ballpark $ is going to be on blasting that cab in your neck of the woods?

PlytoJerry003.jpg

The chassis is pretty well assembled. Time to take the cab to Jerry the Sandblaster. It took me about 4 hours to dig the trailer out of the snowy field. My 2wd S-10 is worthless in snow so I had to salt and scrape the driveway and hook up chains and a cable hoist from the hitch to the trailer, about 40 feet. Then slowly I winched the trailer up to the driveway.

I just gotta say you are one hard headed ole fart.:D

You get an "A" for perseverance![cl

Jerry the sandblaster ain't no slouch either!

PlyReassembly001.jpg

I figured I better get the chassis in rolling shape so it can be pushed aside when the cab comes home. The MII suspension and big brake kit are done except for the sway bar and shocks. The paint is drying on the steering rack so it will go on Monday. Once more weight is on the chassis the shocks and sway bar can be installed.

The rest of the story on Jerry the Sandblaster is pretty bizarre (see Post 152). His wife called the ambulance and they were headed for a nearby hospital ER. Jerry was having great difficulty breathing from an abcess in his throat. The ambulance driver had a call of nature and pulled into a Subway to go poo. Jerry could have died in the parking lot. A local radio station picked up the story and it was in the Mpls. paper.

PlyReassembly004.jpg

All the stuff you see in the rear is installed for the final time. S-10 Blazer springs, hangers and 3.42 posi rear end. 14 Gal. fuel cell that was in my Crosley. Bilstein new take off shocks. That extreme angle shock mounting is stock for the Plymouth truck. The bounce in back is a little stiffer than my S-10 truck. Should be close to the same when it is fully assembled.

I appreciate the concern by E-man about shoveling snow, etc. with my heart history. First, the Mayo Clinic did a masterful job of fixing the plumbing around the old ticker. Luckily, I've never had a heart attack. So the risk isn't as high at it might appear. I enjoy life and rod building too much to take serious chances.

Latest posts

Back