48 F1 LinkFord project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mykk is using a Jag rear in his T project and has this yoke on it. I'd ask him where he got it, looks a lot like a Ford 8.8 yoke to me.
This is his build thread:
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37188&page=14

2019-05-27-13-19-14.jpg

Yeah, that rear end has the inboard disc brakes. Mine is an 89 XJ40 with outboard brakes. I called the guy in California , who is supposed to be a guru on Jags. He sells an aluminum plate that converts the 3 fingered juridical coupler yoke ,so that you can bolt a 4 bolt,ujoint plate onto it. He wants $350 for it. Wow. I pulled the yoke off of my original axle. It has a 10 spline yoke that slides right onto the input shaft of the Jag rear end. The only thing I need to do is have a bushing made to press fit over the lower yoke so I can use the Jag lip seal. Then I can use my original ujoint set up. Below are photos of both yokes.
1005191327.jpg

Thanks guys. I believe if I have a bushing made to press fit over the stock yoke that I have , it should work. I could,just throw another $8-$9 hundred dollars at it, but I really think this will,work,if all the dimensions are correct.

I used a Dana/Spicer yoke, # 3-4-2111-1 for 1350 (GM type) U-joint, with an XJ40 diff, and shortened the nose of the Jag pinion. Fit perfect for my application. but please check yoke specs if you are considering this.

I used a Dana/Spicer yoke, # 3-4-2111-1 for 1350 (GM type) U-joint, with an XJ40 diff, and shortened the nose of the Jag pinion. Fit perfect for my application. but please check yoke specs if you are considering this.

I took the original yoke from the 48 rear end, along with the yoke from the Jag. I ask my machine shop to cut the jag yoke just about where the lip seal,rides and then bore out the center to make a bushing. This bushing will press fit onto the original,Ford yoke. I will submit a photo of the finished piece. Gonna work perfectly.

So, I got the yoke back from the machine shop, and it is perfect. Waiting on the drive shaft to be made now. So, for my next item on the to do list, I am planning on fabricating a roof visor for my truck. I cut some boomerang shaped steel plates and have those mounted where I need them using rivet nuts to secure them. I am going to a buddies house Saturday to pick up a beat up 48 F1 rear fender. My plan is to section the top portion of the rear fender to build my visor. I measured the fender on my truck, and it looks as though the curves are just right. I will have to shorten it and section it, but it is just what I need . The alternative is to build compound curves with brass hammer, planishing hammer , and english wheel. None of which I have. I will post photos of my progress. I know I can buy a roof visor, but I would rather have something that is unique. Next on the list after the roof visor is to get rid of the snakes nest under my dash. Not sure what someone had in mind under there, but there is a nest of wires that dont go anywhere under there. Going to use a simple 6 circuit fuse panel , and rewire the under dash area.

Photos of progress on visor. I cut and section a rear fender. Main reason for that, is the fender follows the roof lines really good. More Photos tomorrow.
1019191221c.jpg

1019191400.jpg

Latest posts

Back