1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks smallfoot!

Well I rewired the switches, and now they all work as they should. Finally got around to hooking up the brake light switch, although it needs to be adjusted a bit. The lights are only turning on when I really push the brakes hard. Dad Also made a plate to mount my license plate too, the bracket I have is a small bolt pattern, I think it may have been for a motorcycle plate.

So a few problems sorted.. and now some new ones! I decided it was time to stretch its legs a bit now that i had brake lights and plates. Unfortunately I did not get very far. I finally left the neighborhood and got halfway down the street before it was struggling to get gas... [S It would stall and then fire right back up. The only thing that I have changed since I have been doing laps in the neighborhood, is the return spring on the carb...... so I dont see how this would have caused my problems

I guess I will change it back... just to rule it out

Then I will probably disconnect my fuel line and make sure it is pumping properly..

If it is, bypass my my glas bowl fuel filter and go straight to the carb to see if it restricting the flow too much.

otherwise maybe the (new) electric pump is already dying..

It was a big disappointment. Mom and dad were in the chase vehicle and the fiance was in the passenger seat.. we were going to make a run to get some ice cream.. I made it to the first neighborhood down the street.. turned around and came home. On the bright side the old gal didn't leave me on the side of the road..

now that the switches are working.. heres a few of her laid out..

\

still progressing forward ... thanks guys

Yeah I have read on that stuff but I have also read a lot of horror stories about how the ethanol in the gas will cause it to fail... Whether a year or 5 years it's seems to be just a matter of time...

I researched it long and hard before I settled on the RedKote. It was one of the only ones that said that ethanol wouldn't effect it. If it does fail, you can remove it with Acetone, a lot of the others I think you're stuck with them.

All the irritating, goofy problems are normal. You just need to sort through them and pretty soon you'll be driving all over the place with it. Hang in there.

Yeah, don't sweat the small stuff, you'll be tweeking and fixing and adjusting little stuff for a while but man, Corpo, you need to be proud of yourself for such a cool looking ride![cl

some before and afters.. not as impressive as small foots! I have been working on this truck so long... when I bought it.. I had a flip phone with no camera..

Im going to need to find a restored 36 1.5 ton to park next to at some point for a photo op...

Last edited:
Those people need to rethink their entry standards!! Killer ride.
When you get all the gremlins worked out of it, drive the wheels off it.
The folks that see it on the road will let you know what a great job you've pulled off.

Congrats!!!!

Ok, so I read all the pages... although I skimmed most people's comments.

Very nice build.

Got to love the end, fixing all the little gremlins. My 68 GMC is currently ****ing oil all over my garage after a few dyno sessions, one cooling fan didn't work, the intercooler pump's intermittent etc.

All part of hot rodding.

wow exceptional work!!

I just found the time to have a look at this thread. Very impressive build quality, and creative problem solving, went into this build. Seeing builds like this one, is what I hoped for, when I joined this site. I was about to trash my bed sides, 10,000 little dents all waiting to for torch and hammer,lol Then I saw how you rescued the bed on this build. Now... why the hell didn't I think of that?? Great build, Much respect !!

Thanks everyone...

Got my fuel problem sorted (temporarily) seems my gas tank has completely rusted inside and clogged one of my many fuel filters, I have a screen in the tank.. A filter at the pump a filter at the engine and then a carb filter...

We cleaned the filter in the carb... And I added one between the tank and the pump... Fired right up and ran fine... So I will need to seal the tank to fix this problem long term...

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get a new carb filter...it's like a weird stone, porous material???

Decided to take her out for a run... Hit the road cruises nice and smooth at 50 mph... The exhaust is a little loud at speed... I'll probably have to do something about that... The speedometer is off by 10 mph according to my gps...

I waited till no traffic coming and started increasing speed... Right about 60 the wobble kicked in pretty bad... I can see why people call it death wobble... I knew I have some slop in my old tie rod ends... So I guess that is where I will start... Ordered them this morning...

I think dad was more surprised by the wobble than I was... I'm sure we can figure it out... As we pulled back home " let's not tell your mother about that" haha

One other problem I seem to have is the alternator is getting really hot... I must have something hooked up wrong... I'm not sure what...

Thanks rich... Few more problems to sort before I start driving it hard ... But I'll get there

ditch the in carb ceramic filter and just run a good inline one before the carb. The ceramic ones are just a restriction anyways

ditch the in carb ceramic filter and just run a good inline one before the carb. The ceramic ones are just a restriction anyways

I think i want to keep running it for now, at least till i get my tank sealed. I would say it prevented me from clogging the carb.. i had two filters inline prior to it and a screen... !

now there is 4 filters and the screen, just temporary. Havent put much thought into the fuel system. My heads been wrapped around the death wobble.. But I think i have a good plan for that..

Including:
- New tie rods, delivered today
- Recheck caster
- Recheck all bolts
- Re check toe, I have been reading that some people suggest toe out for a front tie rod. Other say it will eat your tires. Im planning on sticking with toe in for now
- Adjust the backlash in the steering box: again
- Sleeve the tie rod: It was bent and I had straightened it, and now I am wondering if it is flexing
- add a dampener: Ordered today. yeah yeah yeah.. band aid.. I say smart insurance. Even if I dial it in and i have no wobble, i have decided I want one. For a comfort level, We have some pretty bad potholes around here... and for the fact that with the air suspension, I can easily be running at a different pressure in the rear which will change the angle the axle is running at...

No truck time this weekend though... so it will have to wait... I also need to figure out my alternator problem.. almost forgot about that

I think i want to keep running it for now, at least till i get my tank sealed. I would say it prevented me from clogging the carb.. i had two filters inline prior to it and a screen... !

now there is 4 filters and the screen, just temporary. Havent put much thought into the fuel system. My heads been wrapped around the death wobble.. But I think i have a good plan for that..

Sounds like you don't have a small enough micron filter before the carb. You can have all the filters you want but if they are big (100 micron etc) they won't stop the crud as it passes right through the screens. Here is the recommended sizes:
  • 100 micron Pre fuel pump
  • 40 micron Post fuel pump carburated
  • 10 micron Post fuel pump EFI
The 40 micron for carbs was only set to be with a mechanical pump. Many guys who are running an electric fuel pump just step up to the 10 micron EFI style filter and have no issues with reduced fuel volume.

Latest posts

Back