1939 Plymouth Coupe P8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear you got it figured out![cl You may have set the gap at 20 to start with, but you might not have had the distributor shaft in the right position to start with. It has to be turned where the highest part of the cam has the points fully opened. If you had it on one of the flats, the extra would have come when the cam separated the contacts of the points...

Good to hear you got it figured out![cl You may have set the gap at 20 to start with, but you might not have had the distributor shaft in the right position to start with. It has to be turned where the highest part of the cam has the points fully opened. If you had it on one of the flats, the extra would have come when the cam separated the contacts of the points...

Yea i had the distributor shaft in the right position. That definitely would screw up the gap though.

I've been cruising for the past couple weeks basically without any issues. My temp. gauge did stop working the other day though. The original gauge hasn't worked in who knows how long and someone cut the end off it. So the aftermarket replacement the previous owner installed finally quit two weeks ago. I went to Pepboys and picked up a Bosch gauge. It was only $20, who knows how long this one will last. I can see the engine temp. again which makes me much happier cruising around.

I am running into a funny issue. Ever since i've installed my rebuilt vacuum advance i seem to get a popping sound out of the exhaust at idle. Its not a random pop, it seems to happen pretty consistently. The car cruises fine, plenty of power, and starts right up (cold or hot). This wasn't an issue before with my non-functioning vacuum advance. I did notice that when i used the timing light on the car, vacuum advance disconnected and the line plugged, there is no pop at all. I have it timed at 2 degree before TDC.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 9
So its been a little while since i've done anything to the Plymouth.*But since i can't leave well enough alone, i decided to get my Nicson dual carb intake setup and exhaust*manifold split by George Asche. I pulled the manifold off last sunday and mailed the stuff out on Monday. Only one of the studs broke off in the engine*block, i consider that a success.*

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2591.JPG
    IMG_2591.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 24
Good to see you back at it Chris.
Do you have any pics of the manifold so we can see a before and after?
All of my experience with Nicson parts is related to boat engines.
Torchie

Good to see you back at it Chris.
Do you have any pics of the manifold so we can see a before and after?
All of my experience with Nicson parts is related to boat engines.
Torchie

Thanks Torchie. Here is a picture of the Nicson manifold.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2385.JPG
    IMG_2385.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 14
I received pictures of my completed dual intake and split exhaust. In three of the pics you can see the venerable Mr. George Asche. He's a mopar flathead guru and probably the most knowledgeable person on these engines. He's 85 and been doing this for a very long time. I feel honored to have him build my dual carb setup and exhaust. I can't wait to bolt it onto my engine! [cl

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 34
Looks Great Chris.:D[cl:cool:
Vintage multiple carb manifolds always strike me as being a work of art. Especially on 4's and 6 cylinder engines.
Torchie.

Thanks guys. I really like vintage speed equipment. Reminds me of what a kid may have done to his old coupe back in the 40s or 50s. It'll give the engine a bit more pep, look cool , and sound cool too. :D

Yea George sure is a master at this stuff. A real nice guy too.

-Chris

When i removed the intake/exhaust manifold i had one of the threaded studs snap off in the block. I got lucky that all of the others actually came out. To take it out i wanted to try welding a washer and nut to the end and then turning it out. I was paranoid that i would catch the car on fire with my MIG welder so i removed the fuel pump and covered as much as i could with fiberglass blankets. I first tried welding just a nut onto the end of the stud with the MIG. This didn't work, the nut broke off :mad:

For round two i decided to use my TIG welder. But for that i had to remove the passenger side fender so i could reach in and actually see what i was doing. This worked great. The tig allows you to get really good penetration and it heats up the stud a lot too. So while it was still hot i squirted a little penetrating oil on it and was able to remove it without a problem. Also, the TIG doesn't produce any flying sparks so i wasn't all nervous that i'd light something off.

Having the fender off will help with routing the dual exhaust and fuel lines. It's a lot easier then slumping over the fender for hours!

Thanks for looking,

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2612.JPG
    IMG_2612.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 19
When i removed the intake/exhaust manifold i had one of the threaded studs snap off in the block. I got lucky that all of the others actually came out. To take it out i wanted to try welding a washer and nut to the end and then turning it out. I was paranoid that i would catch the car on fire with my MIG welder so i removed the fuel pump and covered as much as i could with fiberglass blankets. I first tried welding just a nut onto the end of the stud with the MIG. This didn't work, the nut broke off :mad:

For round two i decided to use my TIG welder. But for that i had to remove the passenger side fender so i could reach in and actually see what i was doing. This worked great. The tig allows you to get really good penetration and it heats up the stud a lot too. So while it was still hot i squirted a little penetrating oil on it and was able to remove it without a problem. Also, the TIG doesn't produce any flying sparks so i wasn't all nervous that i'd light something off.

Having the fender off will help with routing the dual exhaust and fuel lines. It's a lot easier then slumping over the fender for hours!

Thanks for looking,

-Chris
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Nice.

The weld a nut on trick works realy great. sometime as many as 3 or 4 tries. with the mig. more heat cycle may be the reason or it may be burning off the impurities in order to get a better weld.

Latest posts

Back