What to do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

My Son bought a 2014 GMC Terrain about 2.5 years ago. It is using oil which is very common for these cars. The 2010-2013 had a recall which re ringed the pistons among other things. For some reason the 2014 are not in the repair and as of now I have had zero luck getting anyone to help. I chatted with GMC and was give a name of a woman at the local dealer and I went to talk to her and left a message for her with no return call. So what should we do? Trade it in and get another vehicle, drive it, repair it. I don't know want to do.I don't know if BBB would be worth it. I am trying to be cool while dealing with this but it is getting increasingly harder. Thanks for any suggestions. Jim

From what I've read (as you said) the 2014 is not covered so, the two things you can do is cover the cost of the repairs and keep all you receipts cause, there maybe another law suit that will cover your out of pocket expenses.
Or take the bite and trade it off.

Stories like this are why I hate "new" cars. :mad:

My mother once had a lemon... fortunately, the GM dealer she bought it from stood tall. They took it back on trade, made her a fair deal on another and basically ate the problem child. (That's what a decent dealer does and should do.)

Otherwise, I agree with Old Iron. Good luck!

The wife had a 2000 Toyota Avalon that had a lifter wipe out the cam. Took it to the dealer and he said if there was sludge in the engine they would not warranty it. Needless to say I told him how stupid he was and called him a few choice names.........The car had 5000 miles on it! He called 2 days later and said it was ready, put in a new cam and changed the oil. I refused the car called the factory rep and asked him to rebuild the engine or put in a new one. One week later I got it back with a new engine. I watched them pull the old engine and put a new one in because I didn't trust them. They are no longer in business.[cl

Thanks all. I agree with not owning new vehicles. Luck for my Wife and I we both have 4 mile round trip commutes. We do have a 2014 RAV4 but the other vehicles a 2002 , 1987, 1989. Even my 2002 Dakota pick up was no prize when it needed a heater core change. I remember my Dad's 70 LTD, I think it was, had a plate in the engine compartment that you remove 2 hose clamps and 2 screws to get the heater core out. I basically had to remove the dash to change the 02.
I am continuing this week on getting an answer but my Son said he is looking into getting something else. I talked to him about getting it fixed and he was iffy on that.
Reading the internet it seems they just don't care about anything beyond the 2013 which is identical to the 2014 but I think it is due to the class action suit. They don't HAVE to fix it so they wont. When I was at the dealer the service manager was cool. He knew I was right but he said unfortunately it wasn't up to him but I honestly feel if he could he would have fixed it. I'm going to call this lady tomorrow and will let you know. Jim

So a little update. I brought the transcript to the lady who was not in at the time and said they would have her call. She did not so I emailed the dealership. They said she would call me. Days pass and nothing. Email again that I have waited for days and no one has gotten back to me and that I was losing my patience. So I finally get a call yesterday from.....ready......the service manager I started with. He was cool, remembered me and said we will log the oil consumption. So Monday we will drop off the car for and oil change and my so needs to go there after 1k miles and see how much he lost. Then we will see if GMC will pay all, some, or none, to get it fixed. I feel pretty good about things right now, that could change, but the service manager seems like a good guy. I'll keep everyone posted. Jim

Latest posts

Back